Quick NSD Delhi Admission updates:
- Preliminary auditions will possibly begin from the month of May or June in 2021.
NSD conducts its own admission test to select the candidates on the basis of their performance. The admission test will be followed by a workshop to determine the final list of candidates who can take admission in the National School of Drama. After clearing this test or audition a candidate will be considered as eligible. There are 3 specializations available for a candidate to choose from.
Admission process is conducted in both online and offline mode. Online application can be done by simply visiting the official website of NSD. For the offline mode of application a candidate can apply by post. After the completion of the course successful candidates will be handed a diploma in the dramatics art instead of a degree.
The applicants can check the status of their online application with the help of their registration ID and password. The final list of selected candidates will be announced soon after the completion of preliminary audition. The selection is fully based on the theatre experience that the candidate has along with the working knowledge he or she has.
NSD Delhi Admission: Important Dates
National School of Drama has announced the registration date along with the month in which the preliminary audition will take place. Other important dates will be announced soon.
|Availability of online application form for registration||28th January, 2021|
|Last date for the submission of online application form||28th February, 2021|
|Last day for receipt of offline application form along with prospectus by post||10th February, 2021|
|Preliminary audition||Month of May or June, 2021|
NSD Delhi Admission: Course Details
Diploma in Dramatics arts Acting, Dramatics arts and Theatre techniques and design
NSD Delhi Admission: Eligibility Criteria
- The applicant needs to have an undergraduate degree from any recognised university all over the world. No preference is given on the basis of the stream on which the candidate has completed his bachelor’s degree.
- Working knowledge is very important for a candidate and the knowledge should be in both Hindi and English language.
- The applicant needs to have at least six working experiences in theatre. The documents related to those theatres need to be submitted during admission.
- The aspirant needs to have one recommendation letter minimum. The letter should be signed only by an eminent theatre expert.
- The candidate also needs to submit a medical certificate declaring him or her fit at the time of taking admission in the NSD.
- The minimum age of a candidate should be 18 during the admission process. The upper age limit is fixed at 30 by NSD. For the reserved category candidates that means SC/ ST/ OBC candidates a relaxation is given in case of upper age limit. The upper age limit of a candidate falling in any of this category can be 35.
NSD Delhi Admission: Selection Criteria
The selection process is divided into two phases.
- In the first phase of the selection process, the candidates who match all the eligibility criteria need to appear in a preliminary test which is an audition basically. The test is organised and conducted by the NSD.
- The test centres are distributed all over India. There are a total of 12 examination centres across India. Major cities like Kolkata, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and few others are chosen as examination centres.
- In phase two, after the release of the shortlisted candidate who passed in the preliminary test needs to join a workshop. The workshop will be held inside the premise of the institute. The workshop duration will be 5 days.
- The short listing of candidates will be done on the basis of the work experience they have along with their performance in the test organised by NSD.
- Final selection is done after judging the candidate’s performance in the and his or her aptitude in the field of drama.
- To finally get selected in NSD, an aspirant also needs to pass a medical test.
- There are 23 seats in total. Among these 23 seats 4 of them are reserved for the scheduled caste (SC) candidates, 2 seats are reserved for the scheduled tribe (ST) candidates and 7 are reserved for other backward castes candidates (OBC) candidates.
NSD Delhi Admission: Application Process
The application can be done on offline or online basis:
How to Apply?
Application for the diploma programme in NSD can be done in both online and offline mode. For online application a candidate needs to follow the following steps.
- Open the official website of National School of Drama. The website address is https://nsd.gov.in/delhi/
- After reaching the ‘Home’ page of the institute, click on the ‘New Admission’ window. A new page will be opened.
- Fill all the necessary details required and register yourself as a new applicant. You also need to submit the undergraduate degree certificate.
- As per online application fee, an aspiring candidate needs to submit a total of 50 Rs. Only. One can pay the amount by using either credit or debit card. Net banking facility is also available.
For the offline application the steps are slightly different than online application processes. Steps that need to be followed are –
- Write a letter to the Dean of the institute and use the following address in the letter. National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi 110001. Request the authority to send you the application form and the prospectus released by the institute.
- You will receive the application form and the prospectus in both Hindi and English.
- After filling the application form, send the application form back to the same address and pay the offline application fee of Rs. 225 by using a pay order or a demand draft.
- Not only that you also need to submit copies of all the necessary documents along with the application form.
- A candidate needs to have at least one letter of recommendation.
- The emphasis is given to the amount of theatre experience the aspirant has in the field of acting.
- The documents of the play in which the candidate plays a role need to be submitted as proof.
- The candidate needs to be graduated to get selected in NSD.
NSD Delhi Admission: FAQs
Ques. What type of questions are asked in the final round of selection at NSD?
Ans. The interview will be taken by the interviewing committee and they will test your knowledge about the field by asking you questions related to that. On the day of the interview you need to clear a written examination first. After that you need to perform two or more speeches, mostly monologue. The speeches will be sent to you once after clearing the preliminary examination.
Ques. What are the performing wings of NSD?
Ans. There are two performing wings of NSD. Theatre in Education Company which is also known as Sanakaar Rang Toli and the other one is The Repertory Company.
Ques. What are the facilities available at NSD?
Ans. All the modern facilities are available at NSD. Some of the notable ones are separate boys and girls hostel, library with numerous books, as many as 4 performing spaces to perform the plays. Study materials are also provided to the students for free.
Ques. Is there any scholarship available at NSD?
Ans. All the selected candidates will be awarded with a scholarship of Rs. 8000 per month. This scholarship is given so that a student can fulfil all his academic needs.
Ques. What is the fee structure of the courses offered at NSD?
Ans. A candidate needs to pay a total of 8500 Rs. every single year for three years. The fee structure is the same for all the three specializations under the Diploma in Dramatic arts category.