Established in the year 1882, Panjab University is a central and state Government funded University located in Chandigarh, Punjab. The University has 188 affiliated colleges, having one rural regional centre at Kauni and three regional centres at Muktasar, Ludhiana and Hoshiyarpur.
Panjab University is recognized by UGC, AICTE and approved by NAAC. It is also ranked by different national and international ranking agencies. Like for NIRF, it is ranked 44th in the overall category for university, ranked 2nd in the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA), for the year 2020 and is ranked 4th by the Times Higher Education for the year 2019-2020.
Panjab University offers UG, PG, diploma and research courses. The mode of admission in Panjab University is online based. The admission procedure in the Panjab University for different courses depends on the Entrance exam either conducted by the university or they accept the scores for national entrance exams like JEE, NEET etc. The university campus is spread over 550 acres with state-of-the-art infrastructure and facilities for students and staff.
Panjab University: Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1882 | State University|
|Approved by||UGC, NAAC, AICTE|
|Set by||State and Central Government|
|Entrance Exam||PU CET/CAT/ GMAT/ NEET/JEE/ PU LLB/ PUTHAT/MET|
|Courses Offered||UG, PG, Diploma, Certification and Ph.D.|
|Popular Courses||B.Pharma, B.Ed., M.Pharma, MBA|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based & Entrance Test|
|Campus Area||550 Acres|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostel, Auditorium, Sports playgrounds, PU Radio station|
Panjab University: Ranking
Panjab University is constantly ranked by both the national and international ranking agencies for its excellence in the field of education.
|Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements||2nd||2020|
|Times Higher Education||4th (Overall)||2020|
Panjab University: Courses
|LLB (integrated courses)||
Panjab University: Admissions
Panjab University offers various UG, PG, diploma, and doctoral courses across various streams. Admission to various courses is through merit while for others it depends on the scores of the entrance exam conducted either by the university or any applicable national exam.
For PG courses like LLM, MCA, MA, M.Tech, M.Sc, MABE, MEFB, M.Com, MBACIT, MPEd, BPEd, Masters in Public health, Masters in Remote sensing and GIS, Masters in Disaster Management, Masters in social work the entrance exam PUCET( P.G) is conducted whereas for PUCET (UG and BHMS) is conducted for admissions in B.Pharmacy (CBSS) and B.Sc Hons.
For Law courses like BA LLB, B.com LLB, the 5 year integrated programs, PU UGLAW is conducted, Further for BE and B.tech the admission is through PULEET, whereas for courses like B.com, admission is merit based and for MBA the admission is through CAT/ PU MET.
How to Apply?
The eligible candidates can apply through an online registration procedure to courses at Panjab University.
- Visit the official website of the university
- Register online by creating a login Id and password
- Click on add application form, edit and fill in all the required fields.
- Select category (if applicable)
- Select course/ courses and upload scanned copies of required documents corresponding to education or category (if applicable)
- Check and recheck all the details filled and confirm the form; kindly note once confirmed the form cannot be edited.
- Make the fees payment online or through bank challan.
- Save the copy of Receipt and the form submitted for further admission procedure.
Panjab University: Placements
Punjab University provides the opportunities and training to students so that they excel as professionals in their respective careers. Punjab University has a Central Placement Cell which organises placement drives, placement opportunities, internship opportunities and campus interviews for the students of different courses. Placement Cell also actively works towards providing grooming and training sessions to students to make them industry ready professionals. The students are encouraged to strive for perfection and the placement cell provides them with opportunities to achieve their career goals.
Panjab University: Scholarships
Panjab university provides the following scholarships to meritorious students:
- Scholarships for the Students with Disabilities: NHFDC has implemented for specially-abled students on behalf of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (Govt. of India). Under this scheme, 2500 eligible students can get scholarships for UG and PG courses.
- Post-matric scholarship for SC students: This scholarship is awarded to students under the SC/ST category with family income less than INR 2.50 lakhs per annum.
- Post-matric scholarship for OBCs: To avail this scholarship the student should be under OBC category and belong to a family with annual income less than INR 1 lakh per annum.
- National Means cum merit scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to meritorious students belonging to financially weaker families to pursue their higher education.
- National Scheme for incentive for the girl child for secondary education: This scholarship is awarded to single girl child to promote the higher education of girls and is a central government-sponsored scheme.
Panjab University: Facilities
- Hostels: There are 17 hostels, 8 for boys and 9 for girls, in all the hostels can accommodate up to 6,700 students. In addition to this there is one working women hostel with a capacity of 70 people.
- Panjab University Radio: Panjab University has its own community radio station named as Radio Jyotirgamaya 91.2, which can be heard over a range of 10 kilometres works as an agent for communication between faculty, students and everyone associated to the Panjab University.
- Healthcare: catering to the needs of 40,000 employees and their dependents, Bhai Ghanaiya Ji Institute of Health is run by general physicians and specialists from different faculties of the Panjab University. The healthcare centre is well equipped with all the requirements needed during an emergency.
- Library: with seating capacity of 500 students, the AC Joshi Library is housed in the main campus Panjab University campus of sector 14. In terms of infrastructure, the library is a 5-storey building which has over 7,00,000 publications and a prized collection of 1490 manuscripts. It is fully computerised and helps students to self-issue and return of books 24*7.
- Sports: Thirteen times winner of the Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad trophy for excellence in sports and games at inter university level, Panjab University has playgrounds for all major sports.
Panjab University: Faculty
Vice chancellor of Panjab University along with his 997 faculty members across various departments, are committed to create the future of education brighter by imparting education through different Undergraduate, postgraduate, diplomas, certifications and PG Diplomas.
Panjab University: FAQs
Ques. Can we apply to multiple courses at Panjab University? will one have to pay different application fees for different courses?
Ans. Depending on their interest and eligibility criteria, the candidate can apply to 8 courses. The application fees for applying to more than one course increases depending on the total number of courses the candidate has applied for. This application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. Also, there is a concession of 50% on application fees for ST/SC/PwD.
Ques. Are there two campuses of Panjab University?
Ans. Yes, there are two campuses of the Panjab University in the city of Chandigarh. One is in sector 14 and the second one is in sector 25. Punjab university holds state-of-the-art campuses for its students, teachers and related personnel.
Ques. Are there any evening courses in the Panjab University?
Ans. The Panjab University specially has Department of Evening Studies for its courses like Bachelor of Arts (BA), B.com, MA Economics, English, History, Political science and Punjabi. The courses are introduced for working people in order to help them maintain work and study balance.
Ques. How are the placements for Panjab University?
Ans. The placement of the student depends solely on their performance, skills and knowledge. The deserving candidates get placed with consultancies, think tanks and MNCs depending on the type of course.
Ques. What is the best course in Panjab University?
Ans. Although Panjab University has successfully made its mark on NIRF rankings consistently yet it is best known for its pharmacy department. It was ranked 2nd by NIRF for its pharmacy department in the year 2020.