National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities (NIEPMD), Chennai, Tamil Nadu, is a government educational institute, set up in 2005. The institute is committed to providing education to students regarding the care, assistance, and treatment of the disabled via a host of specialized Certification, Diploma, UG and PG courses. Additionally, the institute also has an M.Phil programme at the research level. All courses are designed for one purpose only – to enable an individual to diagnose, educate, and assist persons with disabilities.
|Established | Institute Type||2005 | Public|
|Affiliated With||Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI)|
|Set by||Government of India|
|Courses Offered||UG, PG, Diploma, Certificate, M.Phil|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based & Entrance Test|
|Entrance Exam||CET/ NET/ AIOAT/ NET-P&O|
|Campus Area||15.22 acres|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostels, Special Education Centre, Medical Units|
|Certificate Course in Care Giving (CCCG)||Care Giving – Primary Course (Basic)||
|Care Giving – Advanced||
|Certificate Course in Care Giving (RCI)||
|D.Ed Special Education||Multiple Disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Deaf Blindness and Cerebral Palsy||
|B.Ed Special education||Multiple Disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder and Deaf Blindness||
|M.Ed Special Education||Multiple Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder||
|PG Diploma||Developmental Therapy||
Selections for CCCG, B.Ed (Special Education), M.Ed and PG Diploma are on the basis of merit secured in the previous qualifying examination. For D.Ed (Special Education), candidates must qualify for the All India Online Aptitude Test (AIOAT) conducted by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI). Whereas, admissions to BASLP is based on the National Entrance Test (NET) by the institute itself.
BPT and BOT admission is based on valid score in the Common Entrance Test (CET) conducted by the Directorate of Medical Education Tamil Nadu. While, for BPO, candidates must appear for the National Entrance Test for Prosthetics & Orthotics (NET – P&O). Those who qualify must then apply for counseling conducted by NBER – NIEPMD.
Selections for M.Phil are on the basis of an entrance examination conducted by the institute itself. Shortlisted candidates shall also have to clear an interview round.
How to Apply?
Candidates must apply in offline mode. Follow the steps below for the application process:
- To apply, visit the official college website and click on ‘Admission’
- Candidates must then click on the course of their choice and then download the application form via the link provided
- Fill the application form with the necessary details
- Attach scanned copies of the required documents
- Mail the application form with the attached documents to the following address:
NIEPMD, ECR, MUTTUKADU, KOVALAM (P.O),
CHENNAI – 603 112
- Lastly, make the online payment of the application fee which may differ from course to course to the following bank account:
THE DIRECTOR, NIEPMD I.A, INDIAN BANK, KOVALAM BRANCH, IFSC: IDIB000K122, ACCOUNT NO:6332687300
- Passport size photo
- SSLC/ 10th Mark sheet
- HSC/12th Mark sheet
- UG statement of Marks and Provisional or Degree certificate (if applicable)
- PG statement of Marks and Provisional or Degree certificate (if applicable)
- Community Certificate (attach recent certificate)
- Transfer Certificate
- Migration certificate
- Aadhar card
- Extracurricular/Co-Curricular certificates (if any)
- Experience Certificate (if any)
National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities grants several state and central government scholarships to candidates from reserved categories as well as to those from weak financial backgrounds. Some of which are –
- Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students: For students who have scored 80 percentile in class XI and whose parents’ annual income is 8 lakhs per annum or less.
- Post-matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities: For students with disabilities that are 40% and above, and whose parents’ annual income does not exceed Rs. 2,50,000/- from all sources.
- North East Scholarship Scheme: Under this scheme full tuition fee, as well as hostel and mess fees is waived for students from North East.
- Hostel – The institute has a separate hostel for both males and female students with adequate facilities. The hostel provides boarding as well as food facility through an in-house mess, all at a reasonable cost.
- Special Education Centre – A centre has been set in-campus for teaching children with disabilities. Not only this provides valuable experience and practical skill sets to a student but also is a great opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to society.
- Library – The institute contains a large library with plenty of books, magazines, research papers, and other reference materials to help a student in his study.
- Medical Units – At NIEPMD each department has several different units that can cater to the needs of people with special needs. Some of them are Prosthetic Orthotic Unit, Unit for Early Childhood Special Education etc.
NIEPMD is committed to the upliftment of the disabled and quality education and training of a student is a vital part of their strategy. As such, only the most distinguished and experienced professors are recruited in the faculty team.
The faculty members are in the following positions:
- Lecturer: 6
- Associate Professor: 1
- Special Teacher: 4
- Rehabilitation Officer: 5
Ques. Does NIEPMD offer educational loan facilities?
Ans. While NIEPMD itself does not offer any educational loans, it does make educational loan arrangements for students with disabilities through NHFDC and other nationalised banks.
Ques. How is the infrastructure of the NIEPMD?
Ans. The infrastructure of the institute is typical of any other Government Institution, meaning the facilities for academics are excellent but nothing lavish in terms of ‘creature comfort’.
Ques. Does NIEPMD provide placements?
Ans. The institute provides internship or field placements to students belonging to different programmes. It also provides internships to students from other institutions or organisations.
Ques. Does NIEPMD offer hostel accommodation to students?
Ans. Yes, NIEPMD has separate hostels for both boys and girls. The hostels are well-furnished and well ventilated. The hostel also provides food facility through an inhouse mess, all at a reasonable cost.
Ques. What are some extracurricular activities organised at NIEPMD?
Ans. The institute organizes sports activities, cultural programmes such as Republic Day, Teacher’s Day, International Day of Yoga etc where students get the opportunity to showcase their creativity.
Ques. Does NIEPMD only accept persons with disability as a student?
Ans. No. Anyone who fulfills the eligibility criterion can apply for admission. However, students with disabilities have a certain amount of seats reserved for them in the admission process. Such students are also given, if needed, financial support from the institute via several scholarships.