Sacred Heart College, Kochi, founded in 1944 and approved by the UGC, is a leading institution of higher education. It was re-accredited with an ‘A’ grade by the NAAC in 2013. It was affiliated with Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. In 2014, the college received an autonomous status from the university. It provides 14 UG, 15 PG, and a variety of Diploma, Certificate, as well as MPhil programs in the Arts, Science, and Commerce. It has also been designated as a research institution affiliated with MG University, which offers PhD programs.
Admissions to all courses at the college are done merit-based. The admissions process takes place online through the college website. The college follows the eligibility and reservation set by Mahatma Gandhi University and the Government of Kerala. Students are offered INR 4 – 6 LPA as the average compensation package by placements offered by the college.
Sacred Heart College Rankings
The rankings obtained by the college have been listed as follows:
- Sacred Heart College was ranked 57 by NIRF 2019
- Sacred Heart College was ranked 55 by NIRF 2020
- It was ranked by India Today for Arts – 23, Science – 24, Commerce – 26 (2020)
- It was ranked by The Week for Arts – 41, Science – 26, Commerce – 29 (2020)
Sacred Heart College Courses and Fees
The various courses offered have been tabulated below:-
|PROGRAM||PROGRAM DETAILS||SELECTION BASIS|
||Merit-Based/ Aptitude Test + Interview- MA Digital Animation/Graphic Design/MCJ/Cine and Television programs|
||Written Aptitude Test, Interview (Applicants who have qualified in the SLET/ GATE/ GPAT/ NET, JEST,RGNF/ UGC, CSIR, ICMR/ ICAR are exempted)|
Note: All fee amounts given are 1st Year fees only.
Sacred Heart College Placements
The college offers a variety of internship and placement possibilities. The students are provided with pre-placement services like Current Affairs, General Aptitude, Technical Aptitude, Presentation Skills, Group Discussion Skills, Debate Skills, Interviews Skills & Mock Interviews, Industrial Analytics Workshops, etc. The placement cell also provides training based on psychometric testing to provide optimal career advice to the students.
The college has a set placement process where the students will be required to fulfil the requirements of companies in the placement pool.
Some statistics of the college placements are:
- Students were awarded an average compensation package of around 4.5 LPA for final year students from some of the country’s most prestigious organisations and institutes.
- Around 15 students were placed at Deloitte with a salary compensation of 5 Lakhs+ packages.
Some top recruiters of the college are:
|IDBI Bank||Federal Bank||Sutherland Global Service||Indian Academy of Science||National Environmental Engineering Research Institute|
|Larsen and Toubro||Ernst and Young||Ashok Leyland||TCS||South Indian Bank|
Sacred Heart College Scholarships
Apart from central and state government scholarships, the college offers its own scholarships and awards based on merit, family income, caste, and other factors. Some scholarships offered by the college are given below:
- Fr. Michael Graff Endowment for ‘Environment protection and the best classroom beautification instituted by Fr. Michael Graff.
- Fr. Bernd Cire Endowment for Environment Protection and the Second best in classroom beautification contest.
- Rev. Fr. Melesius Palatty Memorial Scholarship for the Child of ESA member who secures highest marks in SSLC, instituted by ESA.
- Rev. Dr Dan Thottakara publishing Scholars Award for Staff.
- Rev. Dr Dan Thottakara Students Service Award for staff.
- Rev. Dr Jose Kuriedath Endowment for the Best All-rounder (outgoing).
- Dr V.J. Dominic Endowment for best PG Science Project.
- Sri. N.P. Vasudevan Memorial Endowment for student support.
There are also many scholarships offered by government agencies. Some of them are:
- National Merit Scholarship – NMS
- State Merit Scholarship
- District Merit Scholarship
- National Loan Scholarship
- Kerala State Govt. Scholarship
- University Merit Scholarship
- Hindi Scholarship
- K.P.C.R. Scholarship
- NCERT Scholarship
- Labour Welfare Funds Scholarship
- Fishermen Scholarship
- OBC Educational Concession
- OEC Educational Concession
- SPH (Scholarship for the Physically Handicapped)
- SC Educational Concession
- ST Educational Concession
- UGC Scholarship for Single Girl Child
- Post-Metric Scholarship
There are many other scholarships offered by the college on its own and in relation with the government. Candidates can find more information regarding this in the official college website.
How to avail these scholarships?
- Students who want to apply for a college scholarship or financial aid should download the application form from the official college website, have it signed by their class teacher, and send it to the HOD.
- Students can also get the application form from the college office.
Sacred Heart College FAQs
Ques. Is there any reservation provision in Sacred Heart College?
Ans. Aside from the sports and cultural quotas, as well as community and management seats, a number of merit seats are reserved under the categories of mandatory reservation, special reservation, reservations for individuals with disabilities, and nominations. In addition, candidates from Lakshwadeep are guaranteed a seat in each program. Students who excel in sports are also given reservation.
Ques.What is the application fee at Sacred Heart College?
Ans. The application fee for General candidates for UG/PG is INR 250/300 respectively. The application fee for SC/ST candidates for UG/PG is INR 100/150.
Ques.How can I reach Sacred Heart College?
Ans. Sacred Heart College is located at Pandit Karuppan Rd, Thevara, Ernakulam, Kerala- 682013. Candidates can reach the college by bus, train and flight. The college is 45 mins away from the Ernakulam South Railway Station. The college has a bus stop just close to its campus with 5 minutes walking distance.
Ques.How is the Sacred Heart College campus?
Ans. Sacred Heart College has a free Wi-Fi enabled campus complete with well-stocked libraries and labs, as well as a sports complex, gymnasium, cafeteria, auditorium, convenience store, and shuttle service.
Ques.What are the documents required to apply to Sacred Heart College?
Ans. Some of the documents needed at the time of admission are:-
- A self-attested copy of a student’s grade 12 or equivalent mark sheet
- A self-attested copy of a student’s grade 12 or equivalent mark sheet (For PG courses)
- A copy of your class 10th or similar passing certificate that has been self-attested
- A copy of your class 12th or similar passing certificate that has been self-attested
- A copy of your degree certificate, diploma or an identity certificate that has been self-attested (For PG courses)
- A scanned copy of the most recent picture
- A scanned copy of the signature is needed
- Caste certificates for students of the reservation category
- Other documents as stated
Ques.Does Sacred Heart College offer financial aid?
Ans. Sacred Heart College offers a lot of financial aid to the students who are in need and who have scored well in their qualifying exams. The college also collaborates with the Government of Kerala to provide added scholarships to students in need.
Ques.Does Sacred Heart College offer accommodation services?
Ans. The campus owns two hostel services near to the campus. It also has collaboration with 16 other private hostels near the campus.