Material Science and Engineering is a branch of an Engineering programme that deals with alloys and mineral processing and their transformation. Basically, it is a Four-year Undergraduate programme.
- Material Science will teach the students how to deal with Alloys, metal Materials, Chemical materials or simple metal. Along with it, students of this branch are also taught how a material performs their operations with other materials.
- After graduation, students will be placed in industries or if he/she have to study more, then they can go for their higher studies too.
- The average fees structure of the Material Science and Engineering program is approximately INR 40K to INR 1.2 Lakhs INR per Year.
- The mode of admission is through State/ National/ University Joint Entrance Examination such as JEE Main or JEE Advanced.
- Candidates need to have qualified 10+2 with subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
B.Tech Material Science and Engineering: Highlights
|Course Level||Undergraduate Studies|
|Duration||4 Years (Full-Time)|
|Eligibility||10+2 Qualified Students with PCM subjects from a recognized board|
|Average Fees||40,000 to 1.2 Lakhs INR Per Annum|
|Average Salary||3 to 8 Lakhs INR Per Annum|
|Admission Process||BITSAT|NATA|JEE Main|
|Top Institute offering B.Tech Material Science||IIT Bhuvaneshwar, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras|
Why Choose B.Techh in Material Science and Engineering?
Basically, material science and engineering courses are focused on developing materials that make the technologies better. Some points that are given below show why material science and engineering is an important branch.
- Material science and engineering graduates innovate in both the directions- research and industrial sector. They can make material for every technology ranging from aeroplanes to medicines.
- Throughout the 4 years of the course, students will learn more about material by means of nature or behaviour of materials, reactions of materials, general descriptions of materials and different aspects about material science and engineering.
- After pursuing B.Tech in material science and engineering, students can either go for higher studies or go for a job in the industries or apply for civil services.
|List of Higher Courses after B.Tech||Job Profiles||Options for Civil Services|
|M.E/ M.Tech||Assistant engineer||Indian Police Service(IPS)|
|PGDM||Project Manager||Indian Administrative Service(IAS)|
|MBA||Research Analyst||Indian Foreign Service(IFS)|
|PH.D.||Welding Engineer||Indian Engineering Services|
- The career options are high in government sectors. Material science engineers also have an opportunity in public sector companies like UCIL, HAL, RITES.
B.Tech in Material Science and Engineering Admission Process
The admission process for most of the institutes is based on the entrance examination taken all over the country. Based on their performance in an entrance test students can get admitted into the institutes. Basically, there are two types of admission process done by the institutes.
- Direct Admission process:- In this students got admitted on the basis of their performance or marks in the 12th standard with their main subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Entrance Based Process:- Students got admitted on the basis of their performance in entrance exams like JEE, NATA, BITSAT.
B.Tech Material Science and Engineering Cut-off for Top IITs
The cut off ranks for JEE Advanced 2020- Round 6 for admission to top IITs are given below.
B.Tech Material Science and Engineering Cut-off for top NITs
Given below are the cut off ranks for round 6 of JEE Main 2020 for admission to various NITs.
B.Tech in Material Science and Engineering Syllabus
Syllabus is one of the crucial parts of any of Course. Basically, Syllabus is for Students to know what He/she will learn in future after taking this course or subject. A Semester wise Syllabus for material science and engineering branch is shown below.
Material Science Syllabus – First Year
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Engineering mathematics-1||Engineering mathematics-2|
|Engineering Physics-1||Engineering Physics-2|
|Engineering Physics Lab-1||Engineering Physics Lab-2|
|Engineering Drawing||Computer Programming and Coding|
|Technical Communications||Computer Coding Lab|
|Basics of Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Workshop|
|Environmental Studies||Workshop Practical|
Material Science Syllabus – Second Year
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Engineering mathematics-3||Material Characterization-1|
|Physics of Material||Material Characterization-1 Lab|
|Nature and Properties of Material||Industrial Economics|
|Nature and Properties of Material Lab||Phase Equilibrium in materials|
|Thermodynamics and Kinetic Materials||Phase Equilibrium in materials Lab|
|Engineering Mechanics||Iron and Steel Making|
|–||Mechanical Behaviours of Material|
Material Science Syllabus – Third Year
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Heat Treatment of Metals||Material Characterization-2|
|Manufacturing process including selection and design||Diffusion in Solids|
|Electronics and Optimal materials||Corrosion and Degradation in materials|
|Phase transformation in metals||Professional Communications|
|Phase transformation in metals Lab||Principles of Powder Processing|
|Fundamentals of material processing||Principles of Powder Processing Lab|
|–||Principles of metal Extraction and Refining|
Material Science Syllabus –Fourth Year
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Composite Materials||Vacuum Technology and devices|
|Elective-1||Applications of Transport phenomenon in metal processing|
|Student Seminar||Electrochemical Technology in material Processing|
|Summer Training||Departmental Elective Sources|
|Industrial Managements||Humanities elective|
|Fuels , Refractories and Furnaces||Elective-2|
|–||Electronic materials for industry|
|Heat and Mass Transfer|
|Computing methods in material engineering|
B.Tech Material Science and Engineering Future Scope
In recent times, steel and iron are the most widely used materials in India. So after B. Tech in material science there is a wide scope in the industrial sectors. As well as if any student wants to do their masters in material science and engineering then he/she has the great opportunity to become a material scientist. Some of the Job Profiles offered are:
- Professor in Material science and engineering branch
- Electronics Industry
- Telecommunication Industry
- Aircraft Industry
- Fuel Industry
- Textile Industries
- Chemical Laboratories
- Industrial Magazines
- Production metallurgy
Material Science Engineers Placement Trends
Here some job profiles are mentioned below with their work.
|Job Profile||Work||Expected Salary|
|Welding Engineer||They have to invent new welding techniques as well as process materials.||2.6 to 3.4 Lakhs INR Per Annum|
|Product design engineer||They have to analyze a requirement about product designing. and then after they have to generate an idea and make the prototype.||1.98 to 4.63 lakhs Per Annum|
|Maintenance Engineer||They have to check, repair and service various machinery, systems, equipment and infrastructure.||3.95 to 6.78 Lakhs Per Annum|
|Material Scientists||They have to do all the things like from fundamentals of materials to developing materials as well as their reactions and transformation process.||6 to 10 Lakhs per Annum|
|Researcher||They have to do research on various types of materials by means of how they can react with other materials and what about the effects and all.||6 to 9 Lakhs Per Annum|
Here are some private and public companies listed below that recruit material science and engineers.
- Rodic Consultants PVT LTD.
- Faster Consultancy
- Sundrani Infrastructure Co.
- BARC(Bhabha Atomic Research Centre)
- Reliance Industry
- Tata Steels
B.Tech in Material Science and Engineering FAQs
Ques. What are the job profiles for material science and engineers?
Ans. Top Job profiles are
- Welding engineer
- Process design engineer
- Maintenance engineer
Ques. List Out some top colleges for B.Tech in Material science and engineering in India?
Ans. Here are some best colleges to pursue a material science and engineering course in India which are listed below.
- NIT Madras
- NIT Warangal
- NIT Rourkela
- NIT Tiruchirappalli
Ques. What is the fees structure for a B.Tech in Material Science and engineering in India?
Ans. Public/Government Colleges- Average 4.93 Lakhs INR.
Private Colleges- Average 5 to 6 Lakhs INR.