Mumbai University was established in 1857 and it is among three Universities in India. Approved by the UGC and AIU, it is accredited with an ‘A++’ grade by the NAAC. At the national level, Mumbai University has been ranked 71st among the top universities in India by NIRF Ranking 2021. The university has 56 Departments, 12 specialised Centres, 781+ Affiliated Colleges.
Mumbai University Key Points –
- The University offers over 200 UG, PG, Doctoral, PG Diploma, and Certificate courses under the faculties of Arts, Commerce, Science, Technology, Law, Management, and Fine Arts.
- Mumbai University also offers Distance Learning programs from its Institute of Distance and Open Learning (IDOL Mumbai University) apart from its part-time and full-time regular courses.
- Mumbai University admission is based on the merit list or entrance exam. Major courses such as B.Tech needs an entrance exam to be cleared.
- Candidates seeking admission to popular courses such as B.Tech/B.Pharm programs need to have a valid score in the relevant entrance examination.
Mumbai University is committed to providing high quality education, world-class facilities, diverse opportunities, and perfect guidance to its students.
During Mumbai University Placements 2021, 2824 students out of 3429 graduating students were placed with the median salary at INR 12 LPA. Well popular companies such as Amazon, Tata, Deloitte, Wipro, Capgemini, Cognizant, Wipro, Asian paints, HDFC Bank, Morgan Stanley, etc are the prominent recruiters of Mumbai University.
Mumbai University Quick Facts
Some key points of Mumbai University (MU) are as follows:
- Recently, Mumbai University has proposed to start 74 new colleges for the next academic year of 2022-23.
- Mumbai University has directed its colleges to implement 100% fee waiver to the UG and PG students who have lost their parents due to Covid-19.
- It is one of the oldest Universities with 781 affiliated colleges and A++ Grade by NAAC.
- Mumbai University provides facilities such as a well-stocked library, Gymkhana, hostel, sports complex, cafeteria, healthcare centre, knowledge resource centre, etc.
- University of Mumbai provides good placement opportunities to the students pursuing professional programmes at the University of Mumbai along with the summer internships.
- During the 2021 placement drive, 2824 students were hired in good companies with the highest package of 12 LPA.
Mumbai University Rankings
Accredited by NAAC, Mumbai University has received several rankings over the past years from national and international bodies. Ranking details of the University are given below:
- Ranked in the band of 1001-1200 by the QS World University Ranking 2021.
- Ranked at 17 by the QS India University Ranking 2021.
- Ranked at 71st for university and 96 for overall category by NIRF Ranking 2021.
- Ranked at 1001+ by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021.
- Ranked in the band of 301-350 in the Times Higher Asia University Rankings 2021.
- Ranked in the band of 101-150 in QS World University Rankings by subject in 2020.
- Ranked at 89 in QS BRICS ranking in 2020.
Mumbai University Courses & Fees
Various UG, PG, and Ph.D. Courses are available at Mumbai University. Mumbai University provides various undergraduate programs such as B.A., B.Sc., B.Com., BFA, B.Ed., B.Tech., BMM, BPA, BSW and LLB. Mumbai University provides various two years postgraduate programs in Science, Commerce, Arts and Fine Arts. Mumbai University provides a 3 year doctoral program in various disciplines. Details of all the courses are as follows:
|Program||Program details||Selection Criteria|
||JEE Main, MHT-CET, ICAR AIEEA|
||NATA, JEE main (2nd paper)|
||Merit based/Entrance test|
||Merit based/Entrance test|
||MAH MCA CET|
|Integrated [B.Sc + M.Sc]||
||PhD PET, SET, UGC NET, GATE|
Mumbai University Registration 2022
- Visit the official website of Mumbai University.
- Click on the ‘apply online’ and then ‘register’.
- Fill out all the required details by making a user ID and password.
- This user ID and password will be used in filing the application form.
Mumbai University Admissions 2022
Admissions at Mumbai University are based on merit as well as entrance exams. For programs such as B.tech., B.Pharma., students have to give the MHT CET Entrance Exam to get admission.
Mumbai University Exams are going to be conducted in online mode. All the major as well as minor guidelines are available on the official website of the university.
- Students have to fill the application form on the official website by filling all their personal and academic details.
- After submitting their fees and documents
- Click on submit their application form.
By this process, they can get admission into the university into the course they want to get enrolled in.
Admissions are also given in distance education courses by Mumbai University. So, candidates can also apply for those programs on the official website of the university.
Mumbai University Login 2022
Admission form of Mumbai University is going to be released in online mode for various UG and PG courses. The process to fill up the Mumbai University 2022 admission form is given below.
- Visit the official website of Mumbai University.
- Click on the login and then application form.
- Fill out all the required details.
- After submitting, candidates can login using the id and password sent on their email id.
- After login candidates can fill out the application form of the desired courses.
Mumbai University Result
University of Mumbai has always maintained its good academic records. Mumbai University Results are declared on the official website. Applicants who appeared for the examination can view and download their respective results, information regarding grades and marks obtained in both theoretical and practical marks.
- Over 95% of the 64,000 third year BCom students of Mumbai University cleared the exam held amid pandemic in 2020.
- Similarly, 95% of the students from LLB final year have passed the 2020 examination.
- TYBA has recorded a pass percentage of 94.70%, TYBSc recorded 97.85%, and BMS recorded 97.58 % among others.
- During the final exams of 2021, Mumbai University's UG programmes recorded passing percentages of 93.21 for the Arts stream, 94.5 for Commerce and 74.44 for Science streams.
- Mumbai University generally records a passing percentage of 70% for BCom and 65-70% in LLB.
Mumbai University Exam 2022
- On March 4, Mumbai University had announced a statement confirming that it will conduct the semester six exams for traditional (aided or unaided) courses that will be online for the year 2022.
- For all the professional courses including PG courses, Semester Exams 2022 will be in offline mode between April and May 2022.
- Colleges will be given permission to have a mix of MCQs and descriptive questions as the exam pattern.
- Exams for first year undergraduate students are scheduled to be held in the month of May.
Mumbai University IDOL
Mumbai University offers education under the Institute of Distance and Open Learning approved by the Distance Education Bureau, New Delhi. Admission is offered to the first year, second year and third year students for all the UG & PG courses. Institute of Distance & Open Learning (IDOL) offers admission to the following programs:
- BA, B.Com, B.Sc. (Comp. Science) : FY, SY & TY
- MA/ M.Sc. (Mathematics) Part - I & II
- M.Sc. (IT & Comp. Sci.) Part - I & II
- M.A. Part – I & II : (History, Sociology, Economics, Politics, Marathi, Hindi, English, Education)
- M.Com. Part - I & II (Accounts, Management)
- PGDFM & PGDORM (One Year Program)
- PGDFM & PGDORM Part – II (Old Pattern)
Interested candidates can register for admission to IDOL through the online application process by visiting the official website of the Mumbai University. The application fee varies from INR 300 to INR 600 according to programs.
Mumbai University IDOL Login
Candidates seeking admission in the courses offered by the IDOL of Mumbai University can apply online by following the given steps:
- Visit the official website of Mumbai University’s IDOL.
- Click on the menu and then click on the registration form.
- You will receive a User ID and Password on the email id you provided at the time of the registration.
- Fill the required details along with a photo and signature.
- Now login with the id, password to apply for your desired courses.
Mumbai University Placements
According to the report of Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), over 80 companies participated in the recruitment drive at MU campus. Mumbai University witnessed participation of top industrial companies for recruitment for various courses. Companies that recruited students include Tata, DHL, Infosys, Blue Dart, FedEx, Asian Paints, Crisil, Deloitte, HDFC Bank and IDFD Bank among others.
In the placement drive of 2021, the number of placements was increased by almost 41.06% compared to the previous year. The median package offered to Mumbai University students during the years recent years are as follow:
|3-year UG courses||INR 4.35 LPA||INR 4 LPA||INR 4.2 LPA|
|5-year UG courses||INR 2.65 LPA||INR 3.5 LPA||INR 3.55 LPA|
|1-year PG courses||INR 4.62 LPA||INR 5.2 LPA||INR 5.65 LPA|
|2-year PG courses||INR 8.84 LPA||INR 9.75 LPA||INR 12 LPA|
|5-year integrated PG courses||INR 5.52 LPA||INR 6.2 LPA||INR 6.50 LPA|
Mumbai University Scholarships
Mumbai University offers various scholarships schemes to the students. The following scholarships are offered to students of the University of Mumbai are as follows:
- Financial assistance to the students representing backward classes: MU offers provision of INR 10 lakh to render financial assistance to the students belonging to the reserved categories (SC, ST, NT, DT and SBC) whose annual family income is less than INR 1 lakh.
- Financial assistance to the needy students: A provision of Rs 10 crore as corpus fund has been made since 2004-05 to render financial assistance to needy students belonging to the economically backward class whose annual family income is less than 75,000 INR.
- Book Bank Scheme: Mumbai University renders financial assistance to the affiliated colleges to run the Book Bank scheme for the backward class students.
- Group Insurance Scheme: In 2001-2002, the University introduced a Group Insurance Scheme in collaboration with National Insurance Company Limited also known as YUVA RAKSHA for the students from the affiliated colleges/ institutions and University departments.
- Government Scholarships: A number of government scholarships are also offered to the meritorious and students belonging to the reserved category on the basis of merits.
Apart from scholarships listed above, Mumbai University also offers few more scholarships to students based on merit. A list of all such scholarships awarded is as follows:
- The Lotus Foundation Scholarship
- Syndicate Bank Golden Jubilee Scholarship
- Narotam Sekhsaria Fellowships for Research
- Multi Commodity Exchange Fellowships
- Dr Alzira Roger Borges Scholarship (for the permanent employees at MU)
- The Late Rao Saheb Vishwanath Narayan Mandlik Prize
- The Late Shri V S Gore Memorial Scholarship
- The Sant Kumar Bajoria Scholarship
Mumbai University FAQs
Ques: Is Mumbai University a good University?
Ans: Mumbai University has a reputation for providing inclusive and high-quality education, excellence in sporting, cultural and outreach activities. It has also been recognised for its collaborations with international higher education providers and national industries.
Ques: Which is better, Delhi University or Mumbai University?
Ans: Delhi University (DU) has remained No. 1 University of India over the years. It is better in academics, sports, extracurricular activities and in every field as compared to Mumbai University. Mumbai University has also maintained its recognition and proven excellence at global level.
Ques: Mumbai University is private or government?
Ans: Mumbai University is a public and government University. It was established in 1857 after the presentation of a petition from the Bombay Association to the British colonial government.
Ques: What are the latest guidelines for Mumbai University exams?
Ans: Mumbai University exams for all the affiliated colleges will be conducted in both online and offline mode. Online exams for all traditional courses will be conducted online while exams for the professional courses will be conducted in offline mode. In online exams, only those students will be allowed to appear for the first semester exams (March/April 2022) who will submit their forms for a degree, postgraduate degree, etc.
Ques: How will Mumbai University conduct engineering exams?
Ans: In March, Mumbai University announced that engineering exams and all other professional courses including Law, Pharmacy, etc will be conducted in offline mode only.
Ques: What is the duration of certificate courses at Mumbai University?
Ans: Time duration for the certificate courses varies as courses. Some courses are of six to one year of duration whereas some courses can also last for 1.2 to 2 years.
Ques: How to check the merit list of Mumbai University 2022?
Ans: To check the merit lists of Mumbai University Admissions 2022, visit the official website of the University of Mumbai and log in to the admission portal to view the released merit lists.