University of Calcutta, located in West Bengal, is consistently ranked among Top Universities in India by NIRF, Outlook, QS and various other magazines over the past few years. The university is known for its undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Science, Management, Arts and Technology streams, namely, BTech, MBA, MA, M.Sc etc. Apart from this, the university also offers integrated, lateral entry, research and diploma courses in various streams. Admissions to most of the courses are granted on the basis of the candidate’s combined performance in entrance exams and merit in the last qualifying examinations.
Calcutta University has started the admission process for MA, PhD in Law Application, PhD Geography and MBA-PS courses. Know more
Calcutta University has distinguished alumni and has established MoU with several other universities in India and abroad which will help students to explore new areas. Additionally, the university provides grants such as Endowment Travelling, Foreign Scholarships, Fellowships etc to students.
University of Calcutta Quick Facts
- Calcutta university is one of the most prominent universities in the country which ranked 11th in overall category in NIRF 2020 and 2019 rankings.
- The university accepts candidate’s performance in state level or national level entrance exams such as WBJEE, GATE, CAT/MAT etc for admissions to BTech, MTech, and MBA courses respectively.
- The university also conducts its own entrance exam for admissions to several courses like M.Ed, LL.M, M.Sc, M.Sc Agriculture, MPhil and PhD.
- For taking admissions to PhD and M.Phil courses, it is mandatory that candidates must qualify the Research Entrance Test followed by Interview.
- The total course fee for a BTech program at CU is around INR 30,000. However, the university also grants certain financial aid and scholarships to deserving candidates.
- The Faculty at Calcutta University is well experienced, highly qualified and expertise in their area of interest. Moreover, many faculty members have been honored with Eminent Teacher Awards.
- The placement cell of CU is very active in facilitating placement opportunities for the students in various reputed firms such as Azim Premji Foundation, Cognizant Technology Solutions Emami Ltd., EXL Service, Accenture, Genpact India etc. The highest CTC offered to students is around INR 8 LPA whereas the average CTC is around INR 4 LPA.
University of Calcutta Ranking
- Ranked 11 for Overall by NIRF 2020
- Ranked 12 for Overall by NIRF 2019
- Ranked 14 for Overall by Outlook 2019
- Ranked 1001 for Overall by QS 2021
- Ranked 11 for Overall by QS 2020
- Ranked 11 for Overall by QS 2019
- Ranked 1221 for Overall by US News 2021
- Ranked 1121 for Overall by US News 2020
- Ranked 3 for Overall by ARWU 2019
University of Calcutta Courses & Fees
CU offers many courses at UG, PG and Research level. Below tabulated are the details:
|Program||Program Details||Selection Basis|
||Entrance Test conducted by the university|
||Merit based/ Written Test|
||CAT/ MAT/ JEMAT followed by GD and PI|
|MTech (Full Time)||
||Research Entrance Test followed by Interview|
University of Calcutta Admission Dates
Calcutta University has started the admission process for the 2022-23 academic session. Candidates can check the schedule mentioned below.
|PhD Geography Admission Deadline||22 March 2022|
|PhD in Law Application Deadline||29 April 2022|
|MBA-Ps Admission Deadline||31 March 2022|
|Pre-M.A in Pali Application Last Date||20 March 2022|
|Pre-M.A in Pali Viva Voce||23 March 2022|
|Pre-M.A in Pali Declaration of Results||24 March 2022|
|Pre- M.A. in French Application Deadline||16 March 2022|
|Pre- M.A. in French Viva Voce||21 March 2022|
|Pre- M.A. in French Declaration of Results||24 March 2022|
|Pre-M.A in Russian Application Deadline||21 March 2022|
|Pre-M.A in Russian Viva Voce||23 March 2022|
|Pre-M.A in Russian Declaration of Results||24 March 2022|
University of Calcutta Scholarships
CU also offers many scholarships based on merit and need to deserving and eligible candidates. Below mentioned are some of the scholarships:
- Guruprasanna Ghosh Scholarship
- Radhika Mohan Educational Scholarship
- Sibley Scholarship
- Bangabala Mookherjee Overseas Training Scholarship
- Lalchand Mookherjee Foreign Scholarship
- Abdul Halim Travelling Fellowship
- Lt. Col AN Bose Scholarship
- Ramgopal Ghosh Scholarship
- Smt Prasonnomayee Mukherjee Foreign Scholarship
- Rai Bahadur Jogendranath Ghosh Overseas Scholarship
- Maa Kali Sahay Overseas Travelling Fellowship
- Anil Chandra Gupta Memorial Studentship
- Bhupendranath Memorial Scholarship
- Nalinaksha Dutt Stipend
- Ganada Sundari Sarkar Memorial Scholarship
- Hasimohon Kr. And Tulsi Mani Kr. Scholarship
- Need Cum Merit Scholarship
University of Calcutta FAQs
Ques. Is it possible to drop any course in University of Calcutta and resume it later?
Ans. Yes, University provides the facility of dropping any course in between and continuing later. So, the university is giving 5 years maximum to complete the UG course which you have applied for. If you have applied for a UG course which is of 3 years duration then you can drop a maximum of 2 years in between.
Ques. Are foreign students allowed to take admission into University of Calcutta?
Ans. Yes, foreign students are also allowed to take admission into University of Calcutta as well. Foreign students should have scored at least 60% marks in their qualifying exams. Also, foreign needs to submit all required documents which are mentioned below:
- Eligibility certificate from the previous university
- Medical fitness certificate
- A police verification certificate
Ques. If I have registered as a student in University of Calcutta but not completed my study process then upto how many years the registration process is valid.
Ans. If you have registered at the University of Calcutta then the registration will become valid till 10 years and then in 10 years you have to complete your study process. After 10 years the registration will automatically become invalid and you have to register again.
Ques. Is University of Calcutta providing any course through distance learning mode as well?
Ans. No, as of now there is no province as such for distance learning courses. For all courses it is mandatory that candidates must have met the attendance criteria. However, the university offers various part time courses in fields of Technology etc. Interested students who fulfill the eligibility criteria can apply for these.