Presidency University is a public state university offering UG and PG courses in various fields. Located in college street Kolkata, the University was formerly known as Hindu College and Presidency College. It was given the status of Presidency University in 2010 after functioning as a top constituent college of the University of Calcutta. The college has been awarded grade A by NAAC with a CGPA of 3.40 and it is considered one of India's oldest educational institutions.
Presidency University: Key points
- Presidency University was established in the year 1817 as Hindoo college and the name was later changed to Presidency college in the year 1855
- The university has two campuses one in college street and the other in New town Kolkata. College street campus is the main campus of the college.
- Presidency University is divided into 17 departments offering UG PG and Ph.D. courses in various discipline
- University ranked the university number 5 and 7 for being the best science and arts college in India respectively.
- A separate career counseling cell is available at the college campus to guide students in their career choices.
- International opportunities are also provided to the students at the presidency university. The college has tie-up with 20 International University, including renowned names such as the University of Dublin, Indiana University, etc.
- The college has a strong network of alumni spread across the country in diverse fields including several state heads, Chief Ministers of West Bengal, Chief Justices of India, Governor of RBI, etc.
Presidency University: Rankings
Being one of the oldest University Presidency University has received awards and rankings including-
|NIRF - Top 50 institution||2016|
|UGC- Institute of National Eminence||-|
Presidency University: Courses and fees
Presidency University offers BA(major/Hons) and B.sc(major/Hons) at UG level with specialization in various fields. AT PG level the University offers MA and M.sc with specialization in 9 different fields. The University also offers a Ph.D. program of three years.
|Program Course||Specialization||Program details|
|BA (major/Hons)||Bengali, English, Hindi, History, Performing Arts, Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology||
|BSc (major/Hons)||Chemistry, Economics, Geography, Geology, Life Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics||
|MA||Bengali, English, Hindi, Political science, Philosophy, sociology, and History||
|MSc||Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, applied geology, mathematics, Statistics|
|PhD||Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, applied geology, mathematics, Statistics||
Presidency University: Application Process
- Applicants wishing to apply must fill the application forms through the official website of WBJEEB.
- After registration candidates need to fill in details asked in the two sections- Educational qualifications in which details of previous education are asked and application form where the course in which one wished to apply must be filled in.
- Post details, candidates are required to upload the required documents and pay the required application fees (INR 500 for general category and 400 for SC/ST).
- Once the fee is paid the form is submitted, candidates are required to save the submission
Presidency University: Placements
- Presidency University offers placements to its students from all courses and departments.
- Students having 60% or more marks are generally allowed to take part in the on-campus placements.
- The highest package for the B.sc program was 13 lakh with the average package being 5.2 lakh
- Companies such as MU SIGMA, Deloitte, Think And Learn Pvt Ltd, Vedantu, ABC Bearings Ltd. visit the campus for placements.
Presidency University: Scholarships
The University offers several scholarships in all its programs. Some of the names of the scholarships offered are mentioned as under-
- Swami Vivekananda Merit cum Means Scholarship/K3 Scholarship
- National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students- Provided to ST candidates, who have taken admission in Ph. D programs.
- Minority Scholarships -
- Harsh & Payal Hada Foundation
- Kanyasharee Scholarship- Provided to girl students of the university.
- Priyamvada Birla Scholarship
- Sambhava Foundation Scholarship
Merit-cum-means scholarships are available for deserving and meritorious students. It is given to those students whose parent's/guardian’s monthly income does not exceed Rs. 25,000/- per annum.
Scholarships are also provided to international students by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR)
Candidates wishing to avail the scholarship can apply through the scholarship section of the college's official website.
Presidency University: FAQS
Q. Who are some famous alumni of Presidency University Kolkata?
A. Presidency University is an old institution and over the years has built a strong network of alumni including renowned names such as Pritam Chakraborty, Aparna sen, Amartya sen, Shubhash Chandra Bose, Satyajit Ray, Swami Vivekanand, etc.
Q. Does Presidency University offer a hostel facility?
A. Yes, Presidency University offers hostel facilities to both male and female students.
Q. What role does the counseling cell of the presidency university plays?
A. Presidency University has a separate counseling cell for its students where guidance related to career options or further studies is provided. The counseling cell also has an expert psychological counselor who is responsible for their personal problems such as depression, anxiety, relationship difficulties, loneliness, stress, grief & loss, and others.
Q. What facilities are provided at the presidency university?
A. Presidency university provides facilities including labs, library, seminar rooms, hostels, etc. Other than these the university also has special facilities such as the NSS unit, Equal opportunity cell, etc.
Q. Does Presidency University offer b.com?
A. No, Presidency university does not offer B.com. The university only offers courses in the science and arts field at UG and PG levels.