Bharathiar University, a state university established in Coimbatore by the government of Tamil Nadu in February 1982. The university is situated at the backdrop of maruthamalai hills in the western ghat range with a widespread campus of nearly 1,000 acre of land. BU SDE was established during the academic year of 1991-1992. Since its inception, it has been consistently been re-accredited with an ‘A’ grade by NAAC and ranked 13th at the national level and 1st at the state level Arts and science category by MHRD-NIRF. The school has begun approving learner support centres all over Tamil Nadu to alleviate lower literacy rates and to reach heights in gross enrolment ratio.
Currently, the school has 308 Learning information centres spread all over tamil nadu and slowly and gradually its area of coverage is gaining strength. These support centres admit candidates and conduct personal contact programmes at their centres. The university offers total 67 courses ranging from UG, PG along with professional and diploma courses. Its popular courses include B.Com, BSc, BBA, MSc and MBA. The admission method is based on both merit and entrance test score basis.
BU SDE Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1991-1992/ Public|
|Approved by||AICTE, NAAC, UGC, DEB|
|Set by||Government of Tamil Nadu|
|Courses offered||Undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, certificate|
|Popular Courses||B.Com, BSc, BBA, MSc, MBA|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based & Entrance Test|
|Mode of learning||Distance education|
BU SDE Ranking
|Overall category by NIRF, MHRD, Government of India||21||2020|
|State Run Universities in India by the Sunday India||5||2011|
|India today survey||32||2013|
|The week survey||33||2013|
BU SDE Admission Process
Admission process for UG and PG courses is based upon an entrance examination which is conducted once every year. The registration opens in the month of April and March.
The entrance test for UG is conducted in the month of March and that for PG students is conducted in the month of Feburary.
- The registration for the entrance can be done by visiting the University website (www.b-u.ac.in)
- Under the “admission” sction all the iupdates regarding the admission forms is available.
- After successfully registering in the website, students are required to pay the regiatration amount of 300.
- The confirmation mail is received after which a downloadable pdf is generated with unique student ID.
- The same is further required to download the admit card.
Students holding a UG degree in relevant field of study are eligible to apply for the Master’s program. The minimum eligibility to appear for PG courses is to have an aggregate of 60% and above in the under graduate degree.
The eligibility for UG courses is: must have passed class 12 from a recognized school with minimum of 60%.
BU SDE Courses Offered
The university offers a very very wide range of program in both UG (under-graduate) and PG (post-graduate) courses.
The list of all the courses with duration of the course is mentioned below:
UG (under-graduate) Courses
|S.NO.||NAME OF THE COURSE||DURATION|
|1||B.B.A. Airline and Airport Management||3 years|
|3||Bachelor of computer application||3 years|
|4||B.Com computer applications||3 years|
|5||B.Sc. Costume design and fashion||3 years|
|6||B.Sc. Chemistry||3 years|
|7||B.Sc. Computer science||3 years|
|8||B.A. English literature||3 years|
|9||B.Sc. Physics||3 years|
|10||B.Sc. Mathematics||3 years|
PG (post-graduate) Courses
|S.NO.||NAME OF THE COURSE||DURATION|
|1||M.Sc. Applied Psychology||2 years|
|2||M.Sc. Botany||2 years|
|3||M.Sc. Chemistry||2 years|
|4||M.Sc. Mathematics||2 years|
|5||M.A. History||2 years|
|6||M.A. Information Technology||2 years|
|7||M.A. Tamil||2 years|
|8||M.B.A Airline and Airport Management||2 years|
BU SDE Placements
- Bharathiar University School of Distance Education holds a good position when it comes to placement records for distance education programs.
- The alumni network is very much string and active which helps the university to get into the spotlight for various recruiters.
- The average annual salary for UG courses is around 4,00,000 per annum. (sources www.b-u.ac.in) an the average salary for PG courses is around 5,00,000-6,00,000 per annum according to the brochure posted in their website www.b-u.ac.in
Also, to ensure the 100% placement the university is registered with some of the well known companies, some of which are:
- ANZ Grindlays
- Infosys Tech.
- Mahindra Holiday
- Oracle Corp.
- Jet Airways
- ICICI Lombard
- HDFC Argio
- Tata Housing
- Kia Motors ltd.
- Ford India
Association of these companies with the university indicates that following are the regular recruiters from the Bharathiar campuses and thus provides safer and huge options at the time of placements to students.
Average placement is about 100% in the year 2019,2020. Previous year placement is recorded below in a graph:
BU SDE Scholarships
The scholarships provided are basically categorized into three categories, which are
- BC-MBC student/scholar candidates
- SC-ST converted Christian students
- SC-ST converted Christian Adi-Dravidar students
All the three scholarships are based upon the salary structure of the parental income combined and is further continued for future semesters based upon the condition of scoring an aggregate of 75% or above in previous semester examinations.
- BC-MBC STUDENT/SCHOLAR scholarship is for the students whose family income is less than 1,00,000 combined. To avail the scholarship, students need to fill an application form and post it to the main campus with self attested salary slip of parents. Scholarship is then granted for a particular semester which is then continued if student manages to score above 75%.
- SC-ST CONVERTED CHRISTIAN STUDENTS SCHOLARSHIP is for students who have been converted to SC-ST Christian and have family income less than 50,000 per year. The criteria to avail the scholarship in the subsequent semesters remains the same.
- SC-ST CONVERTED CHRISTIAN ADI-DRAVIAR students who have family income less than 1,20,000 combined are eligible to avail this scholarship which is further granted based upon the academic performance of the student.
BU SDE Facilities
There are several specific facilities for the students of Distant Education, some of which are mentioned below
- Track record of students progress is maintained according to which the syllabus is modulated at the time of examinations.
- All the study material is provided prior to the start of new semester with all the hand written and digitally arranged notes combined.
- Video conferencing based on branded Polycom VSX 700Rs platform with multipoint license key is being used to interact with the students in other universities or in foreign.
- The alumni meets are regularly conducted for the students in Distant Education so as to ensure a comfortable and greater alumni relation and increase chances of getting placements.
- Facilities to attend the examinations through various centers spanning all over the country in online mode is also provided for the ease of students.
- Students library is always open in the college hours for all the students with no extra charges to carry a book limit, of four books simultaneously.
BU SDE Faculty
“Management and Entrepreneur Development”
- The faculty offered for Management and Entrepreneur is the best in million. There are total eight faculty members helping the students in this course out of which four are Professors, three are Associate Professors and one is Assistant Professor.
- All the faculty members are Ph.D. holders and have great experience in their respective subjects.
- The staff is very very cooperative with the students who have enrolled for distant education and helps them by designing digital assignments and conducting the assessments online.
The name of the faculty members are listed below
|Dr. Ajoy Mathew||Professor|
|Dr. Rupa Gunaseelan||Director and Professor|
|Dr. K.Malar Mathi||Professor|
|Dr. G.Sridharan||Associate Professor|
|Dr. G.Barani||Associate Professor|
|Dr. V.Ramanujan||Associate Professor|
|Dr. N.Uma Devi||Assistant Professor|
Que. How to get a Provisional certificate from the university?
Ans. After filling up the application forms, a self addressed envelop has to be sent along with a request letter. Once the letter has been sent, the students are required to submit the payment (through DD, NEFT) to the controller of examinations. The certificate will be sent through post in the address mentioned and then the application form for the Provisional certificate can be downloaded.
Que. What is the total cost for obtaining Provisional Certificate?
Ans. The total amount is near about 375. 300 is the fees and 75 are the charges for the application.
Que. How to get Degree Certificates?
Ans. The degree certificates will be sent by post in the respective address given by the student.
Que. Is there any fee to collect the degree Certificate?
Ans. NO, there is no extra fees charged for the Degree Certificates but the collection of the same after subsequent years of passing involved a particular FEE to be paid.
The fee after one year from the month of passing is 800 and is increased by 100 for past every year.
Ques. Can scholarship be resumed after resubmitting the certificates?
Ans. NO, the only way to continue the scholarship is to score 75% and above in the past semesters. Once the scholarship is granted there is no other way to extend it by resubmitting the certificates.