Tamil Nadu Open University was the first university in the state to publish credit-based self-learning materials in 2003. TNOU offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and certificate programs, as well as a PG diploma and vocational diploma in a variety of fields.
The University is one of only five of the country’s 15 open universities to receive the University Grants Commission’s 12B designation (UGC).
The Tamil Nadu Open University was the first university in the state to publish credit-based self-learning materials. The Tamil Nadu Open University’s programs have been recognized by the statutory authorities mentioned below:
- University Grants Commission (UGC),
- Distance Education Council (DEC),
- National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), and
- Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI)
Furthermore, the University is planning to transform its academic programs for othering by utilizing Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and Study Webs- Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds (SWAYAM).
Tamil Nadu Open University Highlights
|Established | Type||2002 | Private|
|Motto||“Education for Anyone at Any time”|
|Recognized By||UGC-DEB, NCTE, RCI|
|Member In||Asian Association in Open Universities & Association of Commonwealth Universities|
|Entrance Exam||Merit-Based followed by Counselling|
|Courses Offered||128 courses across 14 streams|
|Popular Courses||BA, B.Com, B.Sc, MA, M.Sc, MBA, PG Dip., Vocational Diploma|
|Application Criteria||Online & Offline|
|Top Recruiters||ORACLE, Accenture, IBM, Wipro, Infosys, CGI, TCS, etc.|
|Facilities||Library, Hostel, Healthcare, Laboratories, Auditorium, Sports, Cafeteria|
Tamil Nadu Open University Courses Offered
Tamil Nadu Open University offers the following courses:
- Applicants with degrees from universities that are not recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) are ineligible for admission to the program.
- Only applicants who have passed the qualifying examination under the 10+2+3 education pattern, the 11+1+3 education pattern, the 11+2+2 education pattern, or the Open University system will be eligible for admission to the Program.
Tamil Nadu Open University Admission
Offline Admission Process:
Students applying for Under-Graduate, Post-Graduate, Diploma, and PG Diploma programs at the Tamil Nadu Open University [TNOU] must go to the designated study centers to obtain application forms and prospectuses. Candidates are chosen based on their performance in the qualifying exam, which is followed by counseling.
- The Application Forms can be obtained from the study centers in exchange for a cash payment of INR 100.
- Application forms can also be obtained by post from the Deputy Registrar, MPDD, TNOU, 577, Anna Salai, Saidapet, Chennai–600 015 for a fee of INR 150 by demand draft made payable to the Tamil Nadu Open University.
- The Study Centre will give a declaration of acknowledgment to the Applicant upon submission of the Application Form and forward the Forms to the Zonal Centres.
- After a thorough review of the Application Forms, the Admission Wing will assign an Enrollment Number and submit the ID Cards to the Study Centers for distribution to the students.
- Applicants who wish to participate in a Diploma/Certificate Program via the Dual Registration scheme must complete two different Application Forms.
- Any one of the Group A and Group B Officers should attest separate versions of the eligibility and other certificates, a snapshot of the applicant, and the applicant’s signature.
- With the application for admission, the applicant must include a TNOU copy of the remitted challan.
- Applicants should submit the completed Application Forms along with a copy of the Challan from the University.
- Candidates who are chosen will need to have their documents verified, and counseling will take place on the dates specified.
Online Admission Process:
For Admission through the online process following procedure can be undertaken-
- Connect to the internet and go to the Tamil Nadu Open University website, tnou.ac.in/
- To submit an application for new student admission.
- When you go to the above-mentioned website, you’ll see the following on the home page: Click the top-right menu ‘ONLINE ADMISSION’ on the previous screen.
- When you select the above menu, a web page screen similar to the one below will appear, allowing you to create a new registration for a student seeking admission to one of TNOU’s programs.
- The Login Screen will appear after clicking the ‘NEW REGISTRATION’ button, as shown below, with buttons for (1) Applicant Login, (2) Study Centre Login, and (3) Regional Centre Login.
- Applicants should submit the completed Application Forms along with their required documents and application fees.
The documents required at the time of admission in TNOU are:
- Photograph in passport size.
- 10th Standard Mark Sheet or equivalent in support of Date of Birth.
- 12th Standard Mark Sheet
- Signature of the candidate (wherever applicable).
- Certificate of Undergraduate Studies (wherever applicable).
- Community Certificate for SC/ST/OBC (NCL) candidates.
Tamil Nadu Open University Fee Structure
The fee structure of the TNOU is given below:
|COURSES||FEE STRUCTURE ANNUALLY IN INR|
Tamil Nadu Open University Placements
Student Placement Cell (SPC)
On July 26, 2016, the Tamil Nadu Open University (TNOU), Chennai established the Student Placement Cell (SPC) to assist students in finding employment opportunities. The SPC’s main objectives are to:
- Students should be made aware of available job opportunities.
- Provide online job training for students.
- Organize job fairs for TNOU students.
The TNOU has also signed Letters of Agreement with the leading online educational sectors, Schoolguru Eduserve Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai, and Soft Source Technology Pvt. Ltd, Chennai, for the introduction of the Employment Linked Skilling Programme (ELSP) and the Parallel Education and Employment Programme (PEEP), respectively.
More than 50 organizations have visited the University to conduct job interviews.
The Average Annual Salary offered is between INR 1.8 lacs to INR 3.0 lacs. The Highest Annual Salary offered is between INR 6 lacs to 8 lacs.
The University also provides Internship Opportunities to the students.
Tamil Nadu Open University Scholarships
Tuition fees are waived for candidates from the reserved category and those who are disabled. Students have access to the following amenities:
- Scholarship for SC/ST categories Students: SC/ST students pursuing distance education may be eligible for fee reimbursement if they are unemployed and their parent’s annual income does not exceed INR 1,00,000.
- Other Scholarships: Students should apply for scholarships in the prescribed form, which can be obtained from the Adi Dravidar/Tribal Welfare Department, along with the necessary supporting documentation.
- Tuition fees are waived for differently-abled students enrolled in a University Program.
- The candidate may apply for admission using the prescribed Application Form, along with a core banking challan for INR 300 and a copy of the disability certificate.
How to Avail Scholarships:
Candidates must complete an online registration form in accordance with the College’s instructions. The student must complete and submit the application form along with all necessary documents. Once all of the verification has been completed, the eligible students will be awarded the number.
Tamil Nadu Open University Facilities
The University Central Library houses a well-stocked collection of 25,780 books covering a wide range of topics. The University Central Library houses a well-stocked collection of 25,780 books covering a wide range of topics. Some of the services provided by the university are:
- Both boy’s and girl’s hostels are open, with a sanitary mess that meets the nutritional needs of the students.
- All students and faculty members have access to the cafeteria. The cafeteria provides high-quality food while still maintaining a high degree of hygiene.
- The college has a huge indoor auditorium with a professional acoustic system.
- Indoor games such as chess, carrom, table tennis, and badminton are available, as well as outdoor games such as football, hockey, Kabaddi, volleyball, cricket, and basketball.
- Laboratories include a Science Lab, Computer Lab, and a Math Lab at the college.
- Other facilities include a gym, WiFi campus, banking facilities, Healthcare facilities, transportation facilities, and a convenience store.
Tamil Nadu Open University Faculties
Faculty members are very active in reaching out to students and imparting a variety of effective learning skills via Self-Instructional Materials (SIM).
The Faculties of TNOU are extremely cooperative and supportive, always willing to assist whenever needed; teaching quality and methods are also satisfactory; course curriculum is similar to that of other colleges; however, the regular assessment makes a significant difference, which is beneficial for long-term memory retention.
Some of the faculties names are given below:
|Dr. R. Tamilmaran||Associate Professor|
|Dr. S. Subramanian||Professor & Director|
|Dr. N. Saranya Devi||Associate Professor|
|N. Sivashanmugam||Director i/c|
|Dr. B. Anupama Devi||Professor & Director i/c|
Tamil Nadu Open University FAQs
Ques. Is the TNOU a recognized institution of higher learning?
Ans. Yes, the Tamil Nadu Open University (TNOU) was established in 2002 by an Act of the Legislative Assembly of Tamil Nadu (Act No.27). The TNOU has been recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under Section 12-B of the UGC Act, 1956.
Ques. What courses does TNOU provide?
Ans. The university offers three-year undergraduate degrees in B.A., B.Com., B.Sc., BBA, and BCA. The college offers 2-year Master’s programs in MBA, MCA, M.A., M.Com, and M.Sc., as well as Diploma and Postgraduate Diploma courses in a variety of specializations. Certificate and Vocational courses are also available at the college.
Ques. What is the status of the TNOU placement program?
Ans. All applicants are offered University placements through a dedicated Placement Portal that has been specifically developed to meet the needs of both recruiters and students. TNOU has successfully put over 60,000 students to date and is constantly working to provide the best possible placement opportunities for students.
Ques. Where are the TNOU University Regional Centres located?
Ans. The TNOU Chennai Regional Centres are situated in the following Tamil Nadu districts: Chennai, Dharmapuri, Madurai, Trichy, Coimbatore, Villupuram, Nilgiris, and Tirunelveli.
Ques. Does TNOU Chennai’s Distance Education have the same status as a traditional education?
Ans. Yes, a number of universities around the world have implemented the distance education model. Almost all of these universities still use the traditional mode of instruction.