NIT Puducherry is run by the Human Resource and Development (HRD) ministry of the government of India. The NIT, Puducherry was established in the month of October 2009 as part of the project under the NIT act 2007.
In the year 2020, NIT Puducherry was ranked 130 in the framework done by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).
The college offers both B. Tech and M.Tech degrees along with Ph.D. A total of 958 students can get enrolled in all of the courses offered by the NIT Puducherry.
Candidates applying for BTech must appear for JEE Main. M.Tech and Ph.D. candidates should hold a valid GATE/NET score to be eligible to apply for NIT Puducherry Admissions.
Candidates applying for a Ph.D. in any specialization must have a Master’s degree in the relevant discipline. Selection in B.Tech. is conducted on the basis of JEE rank, followed by a counseling session where seats are allotted according to merit. M.Tech and Ph.D. seats will be granted on the basis of GATE / NET score.
There are many scholarships to assist admissions by state and central government.
Every year, recruiters such as BSNL, Ashok Leyland, Snapdeal, ISRO offer placements to BTech, MTech, and PhD graduates of NIT Puducherry.
NIT Puducherry: Highlights
|Establishment | Institute Type||2010 | Autonomous|
|Approved by||UGC and AICTE|
|Set by||HRD Ministry, Government of India|
|Entrance Examinations||JEE Mains, GATE, CCMT|
|Courses Offered||18 courses across B. Tech, M. Tech and Ph.D.|
|Popular Courses||Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Test and Based on Merit|
|Campus Area||256 acres|
|Facilities Available||Hostels, Guesthouse, Playground, Library|
NIT Puducherry: Ranking
All the engineering colleges are given a rank by the NIRF. In 2020 NIT Puducherry achieved 130th rank and it has maintained the place among the top 101 to 150 colleges since the year 2018.
NIT Puducherry: Courses Offered
A candidate can apply for either B. Tech or M. Tech in the NIT, Puducherry along with the Ph. D degree. There is more than one specialization category for the students available to choose from. The following table contains the specializations, eligibility, and duration of the course.
|B. Tech||Mechanical Engineering||4 years|
|Civil Engineering||4 years|
|Electrical Engineering||4 years|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||4 years|
|Computer Science and Engineering||4 years|
|M. Tech||Computer Science and Engineering||2 years|
|Design Engineering||2 years|
|Power Electronics||2 years|
|Communication Systems||2 years|
|Ph. D||Civil Engineering||3 years|
|Computer Science and Engineering||3 years|
|Electrical Engineering||3 years|
|Mechanical Engineering||3 years|
NIT Puducherry: Eligibility
- To apply for the B. Tech course in NIT, Puducherry a candidate needs to appear in the JEE examination and needs to clear it.
- Along with that the candidate needs to have a combination of subjects like physics, chemistry, mathematics in 10+2.
- He or she also needs to have at least 75 % marks in the last qualifying exam.
- A candidate needs to pay approximately 210000 INR
- If a candidate is applying for M. Tech, he or she must have a B. Tech degree in Computer Science and needs to secure at least 60% marks in it.
- After applying a candidate will only get selected on the basis of the written test and sometimes a counselling.
- Along with that there is CCMT which is an all India level counselling.
- Approximate cost of the whole course is 165500 INR.
- Candidates who want to apply for a Ph. D in either science or humanities stream, he or she needs to have a master’s degree in that particular subject or discipline.
- A total of INR 74400 needs to be paid by a candidate for this course.
NIT Puducherry: Admissions
The admission procedure varies for each and every course offered by NIT, Puducherry.
- For BTech courses the candidate just need to appear in the all India counselling.
- After that the candidates will be shortlisted by NIT on the basis of the score in the JEE examination.
- 50 % seats are available for the home state candidates like people from Puducherry, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Yanam, Karikal.
- The Rest 50% seats are also divided into general category students and students from SC/ST/OBC category.
- The cutoff marks and percentage varies every single year. It also changes according to the caste and the background of the candidate. The cutoff also differs for the candidates of the home state.
|SPECIALIZATION||CATEGORY||OPENING RANK||CLOSING RANK|
|Computer Science and Engineering||General||8907||15467|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||General||10938||20722|
- Candidates who did not opt for CCMT which is an all India base counselling can apply directly by filling the online form released in the NIT Puducherry official website.
- Payment for filling the application form needs to be paid online. There is no offline mode for the payment.
- Few seats are always reserved for the candidates who apply via CCMT.
- If a candidate wants to apply for Ph. D then he or she needs to clear GATE or Net exam first. After that an aspirant needs to give an interview to get selected.
- The master’s degree certificate will be checked at the time of the interview.
- The applicant needs to secure at least 60% marks in his or her master’s discipline.
NIT Puducherry: Placements
- Placement is the first thing that an engineering student expects after the completion of the course.
- NIT Puducherry offers all the students 60 days of pre-placement training and also internships to prepare them for the companies that will come to offer jobs to the passing candidates.
- The specially designed placement cell distributes the filled job application forms according to the preferred job profile of a student. A candidate is usually offered a median package of INR 5.4 LPA.
Few companies that offer placements, pre-placement training, and internships are:
|BSNL||Larsen and Toubro|
|Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited||ISRO|
|Vizag Steel||Advance Tele Communication, Hyderabad|
NIT Puducherry: Scholarships
NIT Puducherry offers scholarships to those students who are in need of them. Some of the scholarships available for the students of NIT Puducherry are as follows.
- Students after taking admission to the college will get 1000 INR for 10 months in a year. This will be provided to a student only in the first three years of the college.
- The college helps students coming from a poor financial background. To prove eligibility, a student needs to undergo a test conducted by NIT.
- The Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry offers scholarships to those students who are physically disabled.
- Students who belong to the BC/DNC/MBC categories and come from the state of Tamil Nadu and are studying either an undergraduate or postgraduate course from institutes that are run by the government will get the scholarship offered by the Tamil Nadu state government.
- Other than these four major scholarships there are scholarships like – Scholarship from Swami Dayanand Charitable Education Foundation (SDEF), Directorate of Higher and Technical Education (DHTE), and Rajarshi Shahu Maharaj Merit Scholarship available exclusively to the SC students of Maharashtra.
NIT Puducherry: Facilities
All the necessary facilities are available for the students on the campus of NIT Puducherry.
|Hostel||The hostels are being separated by NIT. The boy’s hostel and the girl’s hostel are completely separated. The canteens are also separated and there is a playground close to the hostels.|
|Library||Inside the college campus, there is a central library from which students can borrow books to get help in their studies.|
|Cultural Events||Cultural programs, annual fest are organized by NIT. These cultural events are organized so that students get to know each other and can interact with one another. These types of programs can also release the stress of the students.|
|Clinical Aid||An MOU has been signed in between NIT, Puducherry and Vinayaka Mission Medical College and Hospital to provide students all the medical facilities and help needed.|
|Grievance Cell||NIT, Puducherry understands that mental health is equally important as physical health is. There is a specially designed grievance cell that helps students to get a counselling service whenever they need it and this service is available throughout the day.|
NIT Puducherry: Faculty
- To teach all the papers related to three different courses there is a team of almost 50 faculties. Out of those 50 members at least 35 of them hold a Ph. D in one of the fields.
- All the teachers have immense knowledge about the respective field and they are willing to share all the knowledge with the students.
- In the team there are professors, assistant professors and also associate professors. All the teachers are extremely hard working and answer all the doubts in the mind of a student.
- Dean Dr. S. Thangavel manages the college really well.
- To help the dean in smooth conduct of all operations, there are two Associate Deans named Dr. Aniruddha Kanhe and Dr. R. Bhoopathi Rani.
NIT Puducherry: FAQs
Ques. Is NIT Puducherry a government college?
Ans. Yes, NIT Puducherry is a government college. It was built as part of the 11th five-year plan which is included in the NIT act 2007. The college is run by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Ques. What are the courses offered by NIT Puducherry?
Ans. There are multiple courses available at NIT, Puducherry. A student can pursue M. Tech after completing B. Tech and also Ph. D after the completion of M. Tech. Some of the popular courses are civil engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, etc.
Ques. What is the selection process of NIT Puducherry?
Ans. The selection process is solely based on merit. There are also some reserved categories to follow the state government guidelines and orders of the Supreme court of India.
Ques. How to reach NIT Puducherry?
Ans. A student can reach the institute by bus or by train. NIT Puducherry is not far away from national highway 32. A student can also stay in the hostel located inside the campus of NIT Puducherry.
Ques. How to apply for NIT Puducherry?
Ans. The full application process is online. A candidate needs to register himself or herself first and then he or she needs to upload the necessary documents. Once the registration fee is paid the seat will be allotted to the student.