Nalanda University, Nalanda, Bihar was re-established in 2015 by the Act of the Indian Parliament. The university is supported by 17 countries of the East Asia Summit and aims to restore itself to its original reputation as an education hub. Historical sources confirm that Nalanda University is over 800 years old.
Nalanda University is being restored specifically for post graduate, research and international collaboration purposes.
Nalanda University provides Post Graduate education including MBA, M.A., MSc, PGDs, PhD programs and Post graduate certifications. And is most famous for its MBA and M.A. courses.
The university admits students via merit and holds no entrance examinations of its own. The admission process consists of online form filling and interview sessions wherein a final list of admitted candidates is announced.
The university will be introducing Hindu Studies, Literary Studies in English, Public Health courses in the 2021-22 intake.
Currently, Nalanda University provides 14 courses across 4 streams. International students are also admitted under merit basis in all courses.
The university currently functions in the Interim Campus in Rajgir. The official campus of Nalanda University is expected to open in 2021 providing students with 450 acres of area.
Nalanda University Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||2014 | Public/International|
|Approved by||Act of Indian Parliament|
|Entrance Exam||CAT/ XAT/ MAT/ GMAT|
|Courses Offered||PG, PhD, PGD and PG certificate|
|Popular Courses||MBA & M.A.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based & Statement of Purpose|
|Campus Area||4.5 Acres|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostel, SEES laboratory, Shuttle Service, International Convention Centre, Sports|
Nalanda University Ranking
|GRIHA LD Master Plan Rating by GRIHA Council||5 stars||2020|
|Renewable Energy Utilization by GRIHA Council||1||2018|
|Excellence in Education by Competition Success Review Magazine||1||2018|
|Integrated Water Management Category by GRIHA Council||1||2017|
|Passive Architecture Design||2||2017|
Nalanda University Courses Offered
Please note: It is important for all international students to show proof of English Proficiency. TOEFL/IELTS/other certification in English for International students from non-English speaking countries are required to be considered eligible.
Nalanda University Admissions
The admission process for Nalanda University is based completely on merit, self-introduction note, statement of purpose and interview. Candidates are expected to submit all documents during the online application process. Shortlisted candidates are invited for an interview which decides the final list of admitted candidates.
- Candidates who are taking admission in M.A. and MSc courses are expected to have a Bachelor with 55% passing grade or 2.2/4.0 GPA. However, the university gives admission based on the final interview process.
- Candidates who are taking admission in MBA are expected to have a minimum 70th percentile in CAT/MAT/XAT along with a 55% passing grade (or equivalent) in Bachelors.
- Candidates taking admission for PhD should have completed a Master’s degree with 65% passing grade (or equivalent). The university gives priority to students who have completed their Master’s or MPhil with a dissertation.
- International students and Indian students from non-English Medium boards/colleges are expected to provide proof of English Proficiency. The university accepts TOEFL/IELTS/or equivalent standard English test scores.
How to Apply?
Candidates wishing to apply for a course at Nalanda University can follow the steps given below:
- The application process is completely online.
- Candidates are expected to visit the online portal, where they need to register themselves using an email ID.
- Candidates will have to input their personal information including full name, date of birth, parent’s information, permanent and current addresses and educational qualifications.
- Candidates can then process to fill the application form for the desired course.
- The university requires you to upload your recent photograph, statement of purpose, self-introductory note and scanned copies of educational qualifications and identity cards.
- Once the candidate has filled the application form, the application should be submitted to the official email.
- The candidate is also expected to apply for fees through RTGS/NEFT. Indian candidates are expected to pay INR 500 and international candidates are expected to pay USD 8 (INR 600).
- Once the candidate has completed payment, they’re expected to email the transaction ID, payment and transfer details.
- Shortlisted candidates are called for an interview where selection is based on merit.
- Candidates selected are informed through email.
Nalanda University Placements
- Students with 70% marks can apply for placements. Around 40% students get jobs in college placements.
- Highest package offered is 3.6LPA and least is 1.5LPA. Average salary is 2 LPA.
- Top recruiting companies are TCS apart from this most companies visit for recruitments are mostly those companies which are new and starting up.
- The top job offered is of Developer.
- Students with above 65% marks in academics can apply for internships. 3%- 4% students get internships in the top companies.
Nalanda University Scholarships
Nalanda University offers a variety of scholarship options for students. The award of scholarship at Nalanda University is as follows:
Nalanda University Scholarships
Only 10% students admitted in any class are considered eligible for financial support, which covers only college tuition fee.
- Merit Scholarship – The merit scholarship is awarded from second semester only and includes a tuition fee waiver for the following semester. Only students who have secured 7.5 grade points (or above) are eligible to apply. The scholarship is awarded for one student in each school.
- Means-cum-merit Scholarship – The scholarship is awarded to those students whose family income is below INR 3 Lakhs per annum (or equivalent in USD). Students who are awarded the scholarship can expect a tuition fee waiver for four semesters provided their grade point average remains 6.5 or above.
This scholarship provides financial support only during 2nd and 3rd semesters. Recipients of the scholarship will be required to work 10 hours a week (and 40 hours in one month) and will be awarded INR 200 per hour.
- CLMV Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to students from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam. It includes one-time air fare, fees (application, admission and tuition), residence charges, meal charges and monthly stipend (USD 75 or INR 5400)
- Nalanda University Scholarship for Bhutan – This scholarship is awarded to Bhutanese students. It includes one-time air fare, admission and tuition fees, residence charges and meal charges.
- Thailand Fund for Nalanda University – This scholarship is awarded to Thai nationals for pursuing courses in School of Buddhist Studies, Philosophy and Comparative Religion Nations. It includes one-time air fare, application fees, admission fees, tuition fees, residence and meal charges, field trips and annual stipend for personal expenses.
- Indian Council for Cultural Relationship – This scholarship is awarded to students with Indian Missions. It includes one-time air fare, application fees, admission fees, tuition fees, residence and monthly stipend.
Nalanda University Facilities
Nalanda University Campus has a wide range of facilities and is built as an academic hub. Until the official campus of the university opens, the university functions from its alternative campus near Rajgir. The facilities provided can be seen below:
- Library: The college library is fully automated and air conditioned. The library computers offer students access to over 4,200 journals and 34 e-books from the World Ebook library including Elevier’s Science Direct, JSTOR, Nature, Taylor and Francis, Cambridge University Press, etc. The library has over 12,000 print books.
- International Convention Centre: The Centre consists of auditoriums of various sizes, seminar rooms, theatre, cafeteria and an art gallery.
- Shuttle Service: The on-campus shuttle service from Interim Campus to Residence Halls is available from 8:40 a.m. to 9:15 p.m. Additionally, the off-campus shuttle service to Patna and Gaya are available on 1st and 3rd Saturdays of every month.
- Residence Hall/Hostel: The University offers a well-equipped hostel room to all eligible students. There are separate accommodations for girls and boys and the hostel allows visitors and outside guests. The hostel also includes Wi-Fi services, Mess, etc. The Resident hall also provides a study hall available 24×7 for all students.
- Clubs: The university also boasts many clubs including sports clubs, literary society, environment club, social awareness societies and cultural & arts society.
- Sports: The university also provides sports facilities for badminton, cricket, table tennis, etc in the resident halls.
- Computer Labs and Laboratories: The computer lab and laboratories of the university both provide high-speed internet for students to complete research work.
Nalanda University Faculty
Nalanda University boasts of having several famous faculties. Their first Chancellor was Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen, followed by former Singapore Minister for Foreign Affairs George Yeo. The current governing board of the University consists of members from India, China, Australia, Laos and Thailand.
Nalanda University consists of five main schools, each of which focuses on different art. The schools are as follows:
- School of Buddhist Studies, Philosophy and Comparative Religion
- School of Ecology and Environment Studies
- School of Historical Studies
- School of Language and Literature
- School of Management Studies
The university is dedicated to providing the best faculty so as to provide the best education to all students. Each of the School has a Dean and other faculties. The faculty of Nalanda University includes several positions:
- Associate Professor: 3
- Assistant Professor: 8
- Guest Faculty: 3
- Teaching Fellow and Associate: 4
- International Faculty: 4
The college also invites industry-experts as guest faculty. This includes Dr. Manoy Varghese (Millard Reves Advisory), Mr. IVR Rao (TERI), Dr. Kamal Singh (UN Global Compact Network India), Dr. Lopamudra Priyadarshini (HINDALCO), etc.
Nalanda University FAQs
Ques. Does Nalanda University allow offline application process?
Ans. No. Applications for Nalanda University cannot be sent offline. The application process is completely online due to the university’s paperless initiative.
Ques. Does Nalanda University’s application process include an interview?
Ans. Yes, candidates who are shortlisted and invited for an interview determine the applicant’s progress. The interview process is online via Skype.
Ques. I am from India, do I need to take English Proficiency test?
Ans. Indian students who have completed their education from a non-English medium College are required to give English Proficiency test. Indian students who have completed their education in English medium college do not need to take any test.
Ques. Can I apply for distance learning at Nalanda University?
Ans. No, Nalanda University does not currently offer any distance learning courses.
Ques. Does Nalanda University offer hostel facilities for part-time students?
Ans. Hostel facilities are available only for students pursuing full-time education at the university. There are no hostel facilities for part-time students, they are required to find their own accommodation.
Ques. Does Nalanda University use Plagiarism checking software?
Ans. All documents sent during the application process are checked for plagiarism. This includes self-introductory notes, statement of purpose, research proposals, writing samples (PhD students). Candidates who are found to have plagiarized are rejected immediately.