Central University of Odisha (CUO), established in 2009, has ranked at 23 among the top 25 central universities in the country according to Outlook 2019. It has also received such acclamations from other ranking agencies like uniRank that ranks it 380 in the country.
CUO offers a wide range of courses which includes UG, PG, Integrated PG, and Research Programs. The admission to the university is majorly based on the candidates’ performance in the CUCET exam (Central Universities Common Entrance Test), though MBA and the research programs also have other criteria.
CUO Quick Facts
- The Central University of Odisha offers 30 different courses. Out of this 14 of them are UG, PG, or Integrated Master’s programs. The remaining 16 are research programs.
- The university comprises 7 schools and 14 departments across them.
- There are 96 faculty members out of which 67 of them are PhD holders. All of them are from diverse research disciplines. The faculty also has a brilliant track record in publications. 6.12% of the faculty also have international experience in teaching.
- The university’s admission process is guided mainly through a national-level entrance test named CUCET. However, the MBA program has group discussions and personal interviews as a part of the selections. The research programs have a viva-voce test apart from the entrance test.
- The university had 877 students of which 52.7% of the total students were females (according to the 2016 NAAC report).
- The university follows a Choice Based Credit System (CBCS), along with the semester system for all its programs.
- The students of the university are eligible for the scholarship provided by the CUCET committee.
- The Central University of Odisha has an MoU with 12 European Higher Education Institutes that facilitates students and faculties to carry out studies, research, or teaching abroad.
- The university has an efficient set of faculties, out of which most of them are PhD holders and have made publications in their respective fields.
Central University of Odisha is one of the 54 central universities in India.
- Ranked #23 among the central universities in India (Outlook 2019).
- Ranked #380 in the country (uniRank).
- Ranked #8197 in the world (uniRank).
CUO Courses & Fees
Central University of Orissa offers the following courses:
|COURSES||COURSE DETAILS||SELECTION BASIS|
|Integrated B.Sc+M.Sc Mathematics||
||CUCET Score + Group Discussion/Personal Interview|
||CUCET Score + Score in Viva-Voce Test|
Central University of Odisha admits students exclusively on the basis of their CUCET scores (except MBA and research programs). Given below are the scores of the candidates with the least scores that got admitted into different programs according to the first provisional merit list of last year (2020).
|COURSE||GENERAL||OBC||SC||ST||EWS||PWD||WARDS OF DEFENCE AND SELF|
|MA Journalism & Mass Communication||41.75||37.25||29||24.25||31.75||12.5||30.75|
|Integrated M.Sc in Mathematics||56.25||46.25||33.5||31.5||43||21||39.25|
|M.Sc in Biodiversity & Conservation of Natural Resources||57.75||52.25||49||51.25||45.75||41||47.75|
According to the NIRF report of 202, the placement rate of the Central University of Odisha is as follow:
- In the UG courses, the number of students who got placed in the academic year 2019-20 was 1 and the median salary package was INR 3,60,000 LPA.
- In the PG courses, the number of students who got placed in the academic year 2019-20 was 32 and the median salary package was at INR 3,04,350 LPA.
- In the Integrated PG courses, the number of students who got placed in the academic year 2019-20 was 1 and the median salary was INR 3,60,000 LPA.
Central University of Odisha (CUO) offers Non-NET scholarships to M.Phil and PhD students. The students in the university are well guided to be aware of and avail the other scholarships offered by state and central governments. Social welfare schemes like SC/St scholarships, OBC scholarships, Single Girl Child scholarships, etc are a few of those.
Given below is a list of scholarships and Financial Aid that were awarded to the students according to the NAAC report in 2016.
- Post Matric Scholarship
- e-Medhabruti Scholarship
- UGC – PG Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child
- Trust Fund Scholarship
- Merit Cum Means Scholarship (Minority)
- Banishree Scholarship
- UGC – Non NET Fellowships
- UGC – Junior Research Fellowships
- UGC – Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship
- UGC – Maulana Azad National Scholarships
- ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship
- DST Inspire Fellowship
- UGC – National Fellowship
Ques: Are there hostels available at the Central University of Odisha?
Ans: Yes. There are two hostels, one for boys and the other for girls. The hostels have 236 rooms with an area of 105 sq. ft each. They also provide mess facilities. Both the hostels have other facilities and amenities like a TV room, indoor games, study room, recreational center, and outdoor and indoor lawns.
Ques: What is the hostel fee at the Central University of Odisha?
Ans: The first-semester fee for the hostel is INR 4800. The fees for the remaining semesters are INR 2,800 each. An additional INR 2,000 has to be paid at the time of admission to the hostel. This includes the Hostel Development Fee and the Refundable Caution fee, which are INR 1,000 each.
Ques: Are there any special facilities for disabled students at the Central University of Odisha?
Ans: Yes. The campus has ramps and specialized toilets for disabled students. The visually challenged students are provided with specialized software-aided computer facilities.
Ques: What are the features of the library at the Central University of Odisha?
Ans: The Central Library houses a print collection of over 38531+ volume books. Apart from this the library also provides other resources like magazines, journals, theses, reports, e-books, e-journal, and online databases with collections about various disciplines.
Ques: What are the transport facilities available in and around the Central University of Odisha?
Ans: The university is well connected to public transport systems. Apart from the government transport like buses, the university also has 5+ buses for just the transportation of students and faculties in and around the campus. Also, the nearest railway station, Koraput junctions, is just 5.7km away from the university.