DIAT Pune is one of the leading research institutes for engineering offering M.Tech, M.Sc and PhD degrees in India. According to the NIRF Report 2020, DIAT ranks 63rd for technological education in the country. The most popular course opted by students is M.Tech. The admission for this programme is done on the basis of GATE scorecard and the cutoff varies on the specialisation chosen.
The mechanical engineering department in DIAT launched the School of Robotics last year after running programmes in robotics in the past successfully. The School would contribute to the interdisciplinary field of research and aims to help the armed forces with robot interventions that could help them in modern warfare.
DIAT Pune Key Facts
- DIAT was established under the Section 3 of UGC Act and is the premium Technological University of Dept. of Defence R&D / DRDO – Ministry of Defence – Govt. of India.
- DIAT enables students to visit the DRDO laboratories and collaborate with scientists engaged in art, science and research.
- DIAT has started a double degree programme in collaboration with Cranfield University in the UK. Candidates in this programme will receive an M.Tech degree from DIAT and M.Sc degree from Cranfield University simultaneously on completion of the programme.
- DIAT’s teaching faculty involves serving / retired scientists & officers of DRDO, Services, ISRO, IIT’s, various R&D and teaching institutes in India and abroad.
- DIAT has an active placement cell which invites various governmental and semi-governmental organisations for placement drives on its campus
DIAT Pune Ranking
- 63rd rank for Engineering by NIRF 2020
- 57th rank for Engineering by NIRF 2019
DIAT Pune Courses and Fees
|PROGRAMME||COURSE DETAILS||SELECTION BASIS|
||Minimum Qualification with 55% of marks or 5.5 CGPA (on a 10-point scale) in the qualifying examination (for Sponsored Candidates) + GATE Scores|
|Double Degree (DD) Program Offered Jointly by DIAT and Cranfield University (UK) M.Tech from DIAT and M.Sc from Cranfield. (2 years)||–||
|M.Sc in Food Technology at DIAT in association with Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL), Mysore (2 years)||
||Only for MoD Sponsored and Industry Sponsored Candidates|
|PG Diploma in Fire Engineering and Integrated Safety (1 year)||
||Only for Sponsored category|
|PhD Programme (5 years)||
||55% (General) or 50% (SC, ST, OBC, PwD) + CSIR-UGC NET or Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering (GATE), Rajiv Gandhi National fellowship, NBHM, etc. or recipient of National Doctoral Fellowship or other fellowships from government / semi-government organization such as Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), University Grants Commission (UGC), INAE, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Dept. of Biotechnology (DBT), Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and similar organizations.|
DIAT Pune Placement
The placement drive organised in DIAT brings many governmental and private companies who regularly recruit students from campus. Two of the main recruiters are BRAHMOS Aerospace Ltd and Tata Consultancy Services who regularly recruit from the campus. The students are also given internship opportunities in different organisations like DRDO where they can secure a job offer on successful completion of their internship.
DIAT Pune Scholarship
DIAT Scholarship for M.Tech Students
- Who is eligible? –Self-sponsored students who have secured 55% (for General) and 50% (for SC, ST and OBC) in the qualifying examination for admission and have secured a qualifying GATE score.
- How to avail? –GATE qualified candidates are invited for an interview upon application and scholarship is calculated on the basis of GATE score and interview score
- What is the amount available for scholarship? – Rs. 12,400/- per month for 24 months according to AICTE norms along with Rs. 5000/- contingency fund for academic expenditure like industrial visit.
DIAT Pune FAQs
Ques. Is the quality of education in DIAT good?
Ans. The quality of education in DIAT is on par with the other technological institutes in the country. Sometimes, they are even better in terms of laboratory facilities as they are funded by DRDO.
Ques. How is the placement scenario in DIAT?
Ans. The placement scenario isn’t that great compared to other technological institutes as most students are sponsored. However, students can gain internship experiences with a job offer from renowned institutes like DRDO, ISRO, etc.
Ques. Can scholarship students stay on campus?
Ans. Anyone sponsored, self-sponsored, or on scholarship, studying in DIAT can stay in the hostels on campus.