Established in the year 1939, by the Government of Bengal, Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata, West Bengal, is ranked 3rd among the colleges in West Bengal by Education World Magazine and ranked 14th among colleges in India by Education World. The College is affiliated to Calcutta University and is accredited ‘A grade’ by NAAC. According to the ranking of Education World, the College ranked first in West Bengal and also according to the ranking by NIRF for Top Colleges in India for 2020, Lady Brabourne College ranked 94 out of 200 colleges from all over the country. It offers various Bachelor and Master degree courses. It offers around 32 courses across 2 streams.
Candidates have to submit the application form online. Admissions are to be conducted according to the norms of the Calcutta University which is through entrance examination for postgraduate courses.
Top recruiters like Infosys, Tech Mahindra, IBM, Wipro etc visit the campus to recruit students. Students were placed with an average package of 2.4 lakhs per annum. The College awards scholarships and prizes to the students. The college offers facilities like Library, Canteen, Hostel etc.
Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata Key Points
- Students get placed with a starting salary of 2.4 lakhs per annum.
- It has been ranked 1st among all colleges in West Bengal by Education World.
- Big companies like Infosys, Tech Mahindra, IBM, Wipro etc visit the campus and recruit students.
- Admissions to the PG courses are entrance based.
- The College was awarded RUSA grant in 2015
Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata Rankings/ Achievements
- According to the ranking by NIRF for Top Colleges in India for 2020, Lady Brabourne College rank is 94 out of 200 colleges from all over the country.
- According to the ranking of The Week, Lady Brabourne College ranks among the colleges offering Arts courses is 39 out of 50 in the entire country and ranks 2nd in Kolkata.
- According to the ranking of The Week, Lady Brabourne College ranks among the colleges offering Science courses is 35 out of 50 in the entire country and ranks 2nd in Kolkata.
- The College ranked 3rd among the colleges in West Bengal by Education World Magazine.
- The college ranked 14th among colleges in India by Education World.
- The College ranked 1st among all colleges in West Bengal by Education World
- The Department of Biotech nominated the College as Star College two times- in 2017 and 2012
- Selected for College for potential of excellence for the second time in the year 2016 after 2010.
- The College was awarded RUSA grant in 2015
- The Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, awarded the College with Fund for the Improvement of Science and Technology (FIST) in the year 2010.
Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata Courses
The college offers various courses in Arts and Science stream such as BA, MA, B.Sc, M.Sc and many Diploma courses too.
|COURSE||COURSE DETAILS||SELECTION CRITERIA|
||Merit and Entrance Based|
||Merit and Entrance based|
Lady Brabourne College Admissions Process
- Visit the official website of the college.
- Fill in the details required very carefully.
- For candidates applying for B.A. course will get admission through merit based on their performance in 10+2 examinations.
- For candidates applying for B.Sc course will have to qualify the entrance test conducted by the college.
- For candidates applying for the Masters programme, candidates can only be eligible to get admission in this college if they qualify the entrance examination conducted by the University.
- After filling in the details of the application form, pay the registration fees and submit.
- After a few days, a merit list will be uploaded on the website.
- After verification of documents, your admission will be finalised.
Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata Placements
The College has an impressive placement record. Since the year 2002, the College has set up a Career Counselling Committee which organises various programmes to guide the students and prepare them. The placement cell organizes various online aptitude tests and various seminars for the students. The average salary of the students is around 2.5 lakhs. Some of the top recruiters who visit the campus to recruit students:
|Tata Consultancy Services||Cognizant|
Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata Faculty
The faculty in the college are really good and very supportive. They complete the syllabus on time and encourage the students to take up new tasks. Nearly all the faculties have completed their PhDs and are really good with their subject. Some of the faculty members are tabulated below:
|Prof. Gopa Datta, Department of Bengali||Dr. Krishna Dasgupta, Department of Philosophy|
|Dr.. Parna Ghose, Department of English||Dr. Samapti Garai, Department of Sanskrit|
|Dr. Rinku Ghosh, Department of Hindi||Smt. Mahasweta Mukherjee, Department of Bengali|
Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata Scholarships
The college does provide scholarships to the students according to the norms of the Government.
- The College offers scholarships to the underprivileged students. Students whose family’s annual income is less than 1 Lakh then the college provides Rs. 1000 to them to buy books.
- On the basis of the merit, students are sponsored scholarships both at the National and State Level by local bodies and organisations.
- The College also awards prizes and various certificates for academic and cultural distinctions as well as for sports activities to encourage extra curricular activities.
Lady Brabourne College, Kolkata FAQs
Ques: What is the minimum qualification required to apply for the UG courses at LBC, Kolkata?
Ans: The candidates need to secure minimum 50% marks in their 10+2 examinations. Admissions to the UG Courses at LBC Kolkata are based on merit and based on the performance of the candidates in their 10+2 examinations in any stream the merit list is uploaded. For PG courses, 60% admissions are done through merit based and 40% are done through entrance based.
Ques. Does Lady Brabourne College encourage extracurricular activities?
Ans: Yes, Lady Brabourne College encourages extracurricular activities. The College also awards prizes and certificates for cultural and sports activities. The College also offers P.C.Chandra Gold medal to honour the best all-round performer. This step is taken by the College to encourage the girls students to participate in extracurricular activities.
Ques. How old is Lady Brabourne College?
Ans: Lady Brabourne College was established in the year 1939. It is a Government college and is only a girls college. The college has quite a reputation in West Bengal and is ranked the 94th college out of 200 by NIRF. It is considered to be the best college in West Bengal.
Ques. Are the placement records of Lady Brabourne College good?
Ans: Yes, Lady Brabourne College has an impressive placement record. The students are placed with an average salary of 2.5 Lakhs. Further, top companies like Infosys, Wipro, Tech Mahindra etc visit the campus to recruit students. The Career Counselling Cells organises various seminars, personality development programmes for the students.
Ques. How are the hostels of Lady Brabourne College?
Ans: Lady Brabourne College provides hostel facilities only for outstation students. All hygienic standards are maintained in the hostels. Everyday cleaning of the rooms is done. The rooms are equipped with all basic amenities and have 24 hours water supply. They are on a sharing basis.
Ques. What are the subjects offered under the Diploma Course at Lady Brabourne College?
Ans: The Diploma course offered by Lady Brabourne College is a 2 years program and the college offers the mentioned subjects:
- Advertising and Public Relations
- Computer Application
- Multimedia and Animation.