Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira is a reputed autonomous college of the University of Calcutta. It is located near the religious Math of Belur in Howrah. As per the NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) grades, the historical institution was awarded an A+ grade along with an institutional score of 93.25%.
Undergraduate courses of humanities and social science department are famous programs of this missionary college. To conserve their state language, the college administration opened up a new postgraduate course in Bengali.
The admission at Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira is done via an admission test and an interview, followed by the marks of the 10th and 12th examination.
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira has been able to achieve an outstanding rank among the top ten colleges as per NIRF 2020 ratings.
The department of Science and Technology sponsors Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira as a part of the FIST (Fund for Improvement of S&T infrastructure) scheme. It aims to equip the college with basic infrastructure and facilitates research activities in an efficient and effective manner.
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Howrah: Quick Updates
Interested students can fill the application form of admission which will be available from 10, August’2021. The closing date of the online application form is 24, August’2021.
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Howrah: Key Points
- Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira has immense historical significance. Saradapitha which is a branch of Ramakrishna Mission inaugurated this college as an Intermediate Arts College in 1941.
- Deeply influenced by the ancient concept of gurukul, Swami Vivekananda envisioned an educational institution in 1898 and named it “Vidyamandira”. The literal meaning of which translates to the ‘temple of knowledge’
- Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira offers spiritual and value-oriented training to their students. Training includes prayers, meditation, devotional hymns and songs.
- Apart from the regular UG and PG courses, the college offers capacity building programmes also. It includes soft skill development, training on first aid, motivation course on blood donation, yoga and physical wellness-related programs.
- Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira organises special programmes for advanced and slow learners. The programmes include a bridge course, special extension letters, students’ colloquium lectures and coaching. All these are available free of cost.
- Recently, the college introduced some new courses for PG including Mathematics, Sanskrit, Applied Chemistry and Bengali.
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Howrah: Rankings
- NAAC accredited the highest grade, A+ to the Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira in 2005.
- The statutory body of University Grants Commission, or UGC, granted Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira with the status of ‘College with Potential for Excellence’ twice, once in 2010 and again in 2014.
- The college is ranked 7 at the national level among the best colleges by the NIRF 2020 ranking.
- Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira was ranked 11 among the best national colleges by the NIRF in the academic session of 2018-2019.
- In accordance with the latest gradation policy by NAAC, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira was accredited with an overall score of 3.12 out of 4 points.
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Howrah: Courses and Fees
Following table deals with the courses, selection criteria and fees structure of Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira as per various specialisation and levels.
|PROGRAM NAME||SPECIALIZATION||PROGRAM DETAILS||FEES|
|BSc. (Hons.)||Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Microbiology, Zoology, Industrial Chemistry||
|B.A. (Hons.)||English, History, Political Science, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Bengali||
|M.A. (Hons.)||Bengali, Philosophy, Sanskrit||
|MSc. (Hons.)||Mathematics, Applied Chemistry||
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Howrah: Cut-offs
- After the students have successfully tested for the admission test. A list along with the names of students is published by Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira. All those whose name is mentioned in the list, are allowed to appear for the interview cum viva-voce test.
- Finally, a merit list is released by the college which mentions the names of students admitted to the college.
- The admission of the academic year 2021-2022 is yet to be started. We will update it soon.
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Howrah: Placements
The placement cell of the college has three types of placement for its students.
- Mid-course placement: In this type of placement, students are placed at reputed companies for industrial training.
- End-term placement: This category placement is conducted when the students are approaching their final semester. They are placed directly at industrial houses to make them acquainted with the process.
- Project Work: This is a short-term placement usually for learning purposes.
The placement cell regularly organises educational and career counselling seminars for its students.
An on-campus placement cell fair is organised each year so that students get recruited by multinational companies. Many companies visit the campus to search for talented students for various positions. Some of the reputed organisation placing place in the placement drive are as follows:
|TABLE OF TOP RECRUITERS PARTICIPATING IN THE PLACEMENT CELL FAIR|
|Emami LTD.||Oil and Natural Gas Corporation||Indian Oil Corporation|
|ACC Ltd.||Tata Consultancy Services||Wipro|
|Cognizant||National Glass & India Ltd.||State Bank of India|
Some facts about placement:
- The majority of placement opportunities are successfully grabbed by the students of the science stream who have done specialisation in industrial chemistry.
- The median salary package stood at ₹2.4 lakhs per annum for the science and humanities stream students.
- A total of 15 international offers were made to students at the placement fair of academic session 2018-2019.
- The lowest package that was offered to students stood at ₹2 lakh per annum.
- The maximum package that was offered to students in the placement cell stood at ₹10 lakhs per annum.
- The highest median salary package stood at ₹5 lakhs per annum.
- The college also offers to coach all students who are not part of Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira for appearing in the West Bengal Civil Services Examination and Combined Graduate Level examination.
- Students who are interested in availing free of cost coaching classes can collect the application form from the placement cell’s office. The coaching classes will be held for a duration of 100 hours, 2 hours per day.
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Howrah: Scholarships
Based on the financial status and merit of the students, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira provides monetary assistance to them on a monthly basis. Approximately 40% of all the students avail these financial benefits in terms of scholarships, monthly stipends, and a reduction in college fees. The following scholarships are awarded to students.
- Swami Vimuktananda-Dhyan Atmananda Memorial Scholarship
- Asha-Jyoti Memorial Scholarship
- Graduates of 1971 Scholarship
- Pradeep Kumar Mitra Memorial Scholarship
- Giridhari Ghosh – Usha Rani Ghosh Memorial Scholarship
- Paresh Nath Dutta – Badana Dutta Scholarship
- Tarapada and Nirmala Basu Memorial Scholarship
- Souvik Pal Memorial Scholarship
- Hemchandra Gangopadhyay Memorial Scholarship (for passed out students)
- Chandranath De Memorial Scholarship (for passed out students)
- Graduate batch general scholarship
- Ashutosh Das Memorial Scholarship (for ex-students)
Finance aid ranging between ₹100 to ₹1600 is disturbed per month on the basis of criteria set by the college administration. In the academic year 2019-2020, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira distributed scholarships worth ₹18 lakhs to its students.
Students can avail scholarships from other modes also. They include Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Alumni Association, Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, University Grants Commission, Government of India, Government of West Bengal, and Ramakrishna Mission Headquarters.
However, the college has a strict policy of maintaining discipline and moral ethics. In case of misconduct in terms of personal behaviour or academic performance by any student, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira cancels the scholarship stipend.
How to apply for a scholarship at Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira?
- Students falling in the eligibility criteria must register themselves on the portal. After confirming the necessary documents from the administration office, students can fill the application form from the official website of Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira. They have to submit all the details in the prescribed format.
- For verification purposes, students need to attach the required documents. After verification of comprehensive details, the scholarship amount will be transferred to the student’s bank account on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis.
- However, Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira doesn’t grant educational loans to students. The students can avail these loans from various public and private banks such as SBI, PNB, ICICI and Axis Bank.
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira Howrah: FAQS
Ques: Does RMV offer admission to students who have a gap in education?
Ans Yes, the college also offers admission to those students who have a one-year gap between their 12th and graduation. It believes in the principle of equality of opportunity.
Ques: Are cell phones allowed at Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira?
Ans: No, there are strict rules and regulations relating to the use of cell phones and laptops in the college premises and hostel. This is because the college authorities want to inculcate self-discipline among the students.
Ques: Can the students of RMV join the Ramakrishna Mission?
Ans: Yes, the students can join the Ramakrishna Order after completing their studies. As the college believes that the spirit of worship shouldn’t hamper education. In the meantime, students can join the Ramakrishna Order as a volunteer.
Ques: What is the main aim of the Ramakrishna Mission?
Ans: Philanthropy and Religious studies are the main aims of the Ramakrishna Mission.
Ques: Who can avail the scholarship from Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira?
Ans: The criteria is decided by Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira for selecting students for the scholarship. The following students can avail scholarship amounts by filling the concerned application form at the official website of the college.
- Economically weaker section – All those students applying in this category will have to produce an income certificate duly signed by the concerned government official.
- Socially disadvantaged section – All those students applying in this category will have to produce a caste certificate duly signed by the concerned government official.
- Meritorious students – The students falling in this category need to submit proof of their merit via mark sheets or scorecards.
- Physically disabled section – The students who are physically disabled as per the conventions of college, can enrol for the scholarship by providing the certificate of the concerned disability.
- Socially and educationally backward section – All those students applying in this category will have to prove their backwardness via certificates and other documents.