St. Xavier’s College is a private higher education college in Kolkata, West Bengal. It was founded in 1860 by Fr. Henri Depelchin and was named after St Francis Xavier. It is the first autonomous college in West Bengal and is affiliated to the University of Calcutta. St. Xavier’s College Kolkata was ranked 9th and 7th by The Week for Arts and Science respectively in its 2019 rankings. While the commerce department of the college is ranked 6th by The Week 2020. The college is approved by UGC and is also accredited by NAAC with Grade ‘A++’.
St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata offers various programs from an undergraduate level to higher-level research programs in the field of Arts, Science, Commerce, Business Administration, Law, and Education. Admission to UG courses such as B.A., B.Com, BMS, BBA, and more is done on the marks obtained in (10+2) followed by a counseling process conducted by the college. Candidates holding a bachelor’s degree in relevant subjects will be eligible for PG admissions. Selection to MBA and Ph.D. programs are based on the national-level entrance exams such as CAT, GMAT, NET/ JRF, or a written exam conducted by the college itself followed by an interview. While for the other PG courses, the college considers the marks secured by the candidates in their respective qualifying examinations.
St. Xavier’s College Kolkata Admission 2021 is ongoing for admission to its various UG and PG courses. The application form fee for the PG courses is INR 1000 and the form can be filled online on the official website of the Institute.
St. Xavier’s College Kolkata Key Points
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata’s fees for different disciplines from undergraduate to postgraduate ranges from 1 lakh to 5 lakh excluding MBA.
- It provides scholarship to the students based on academic excellence and also to meritorious and needy students
- The college has been accredited by NAAC with an A++ Grade.
- For the placement session 2018-19, the highest package offered was Rs 21 LPA and the average package offered was INR 6 LPA.
- The top-most companies that visited the campus for placements were Deloitte, Larsen & Toubro, Morgan, IBM, Wipro, and many more.
St. Xavier’s College Kolkata Rankings
- St. Xavier College, Kolkata has secured 10th rank in India Ranking 2019 for colleges, conducted by the NIRF under Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
- Ranked as the top 7th College in India by the NIRF in its 2020 rankings.
- In the year 2019, St. Xavier College Kolkata was ranked 9th and 7th by the Week for Arts and Science respectively.
St. Xavier’s College Kolkata Courses and Fees
St. Xavier College offers various undergraduate courses like B.A, BBA, BSC, B.Com, B.A.LL.B as well as postgraduate courses like M.A, M.S.C, M.COM, M.B.A, and many more in various specializations. Tabulated below are the details of the courses offered by the college in various specializations:
|PROGRAM||PROGRAM DETAILS||SELECTION CRITERIA|
||Merit-Based + Interview.|
||CAT/GMAT Exam Scores|
||Admission is done on the basis of the entrance exam (RET) conducted by the college or NET/JRF qualified exams will be exempted from the entrance exam and will be called for interview.|
St. Xavier’s College Kolkata Placements
St. Xavier’s College Kolkata conducts placement of students across all the courses. It aims for 100% placement of the students. The placement process is undertaken by a core committee that consists of 3rd-year students who are divided into five groups under different team leaders. Selected members undertake and conduct several placement activities. The top highlights of St. Xavier’s College Placements 2019-2020 are mentioned below:
- A total of 900 students enrolled for the placement drive 2019-2020.
- About 7 companies offered a package of above 10 LPA.
- The highest salary offered to students is INR 21 LPA by D.E. Shaw.
- The average salary offered is INR 6 LPA.
- Besides, St. Xavier’s College Kolkata has offered good internship opportunities. About 48 new companies visited for recruitment
Sector-wise Placements 2019-2020
Tabulated below are the details of the sector-wise jobs offered during the St. Xavier’s College Placement 2019-2020:
|Human Resource Management||58|
The top-most recruiters during St. Xavier’s College Kolkata Placements 2019-2020 are tabulated below:
|KPMG||ERNST & YOUNG||PWC||J.P MORGAN|
|UNITED BANK OF SWITZERLAND||HDFC BANK||RECKITT BENCKISER||MU SIGMA|
|INFOSYS||VIACOM 18||ICRA||BOSTON CONSULTANCY|
|ITC||ICICI BANK||PWC||AXIS BANK|
St. Xavier’s College Kolkata Scholarships
St. Xavier College, Kolkata has issued a Scholarship Policy that provides various forms of scholarship and also freeships to meritorious students. It offers two types of scholarship to meritorious students whose parents total monthly income is Rs 25,000 or less that includes:
- 100% tuition fee waiver
- 50% tuition fee waiver.
Besides other freeships and scholarships offered to the students are as follows:
- Freeship is given to the students based on their overall performance in academics.
- The Late Manoranjan Mitra Memorial Prize is given to toppers in English subjects.
- Dr. Basudeb Banerjee Memorial Scholarship is given to needy students.
Few more meritorious scholarships and grants are there which are provided for M.Sc and Physics students that are as follows:
- Late Rukmini Devi Goenka Scholarship
- Smt. Panna Devi Kanoi Scholarship
- Smt. Kamala Devi Budhia Scholarship
- A.K. Agarwal Scholarship
- Sri. Baldeo Das Shah Scholarship
- Purnachandra Memorial Scholarship
- Shefali & Nishith Mukherjee Scholarship
How to Avail Scholarships?
Candidates are required to visit the official website of St. Xavier’s College Kolkata and submit the application form along with the mandatory documents.
St. Xavier’s College Kolkata FAQs
Ques. Is St. Xavier’s College Kolkata a good college?
Ans. St. Xavier’s College Kolkata is the only undergraduate college in EAST INDIA to have good placements. More than 50% of the students from the batch got placed in top-tier companies. It is one of the finest colleges for doing B.COM. Previously, it has also been ranked as the 2nd best college for commerce. There are 2 sessions – morning and evening.
Ques. In which sectors does St. Xavier’s College Kolkata provide good placements?
Ans. St. Xavier’s College Kolkata has a very good reputation in providing placements in the commerce field, along with other fields including management, economics, and sciences. The recruiters come from renowned houses in Kolkata such as EMAMI, DELOITTE, PWC, KPMG, and E&Y. The B.COM graduates got offers from banks as well.
Ques. Should I join St. Xavier’s College Kolkata for its MBA?
Ans. Yes, you can join St. Xavier’s College for its MBA program because you can get good exposure and experience in this college and the facilities are good in all respects. Almost 90% of students got placed with good job roles in different well-known companies. Placements are good enough considering it to be the first year and first batch of the MBA program. Almost all students get internship opportunities from the batch of 2019.
Ques. Is Maths compulsory to apply for St. Xavier’s College Kolkata BBA program?
Ans. Yes, Mathematics is a compulsory subject to apply for a BBA course in St. Xavier’s College to apply for its BBA course. As per the eligibility criteria, one must have passed class 12 examination with English and Maths/ Business Maths as compulsory subjects.
Ques. Does St. Xavier’s College Kolkata have any courses in the psychology field?
Ans. Currently, St. Xavier’s College Kolkata is running an undergraduate program where Psychology is taught as a core subject, first elective subject, and second elective subject in both GUJRATI and ENGLISH medium.