IIT Madras is considered to be one of the best engineering colleges of India. It is ranked No. 1 in both engineering and overall by NIRF agency. IIT Madras is ranked 94th in QS World Ranking. IIT Madras has 16 departments and various labs, research centers for both undergraduate and post-graduate students. Admission to its engineering program will be done on the basis of marks scored in an entrance test i.e., JEE Advanced.
Along with the engineering institute, it also offers degrees in management, pure sciences like chemistry, mathematics and physics. It offers degrees in both undergraduate as well as graduate level. Dual degree programs are also available like B.Tech. – M.Tech., B.S. – M.S. Selection to all these programs will be based on different entrance exams and in some courses interview is also taken after qualifying an entrance exam.
IIT Madras Quick Facts
- IIT Madras is ranked number 1 in NIRF 2020 rankings
- In year 2020 the highest package offered to a student of IIT Madras was 82.5 LPA even in this worst time of COVID-19.
- The Institute has more than 591 faculty who are quite proficient
- All the seats of Computer Science and Engineering at the campus got filled in 2020 and the last student who got admitted gets a rank of 158 in JEE Advanced (General Category).
IIT Madras Rankings
- Ranked 1st for Engineering by NIRF 2020
- Ranked 1st for Overall by NIRF 2020
- Ranked 94th for Engineering by QS World Ranking
- Ranked 14 for MBA by NIRF 2020
- Ranked 3 for B. Tech by The Week 2020
- Ranked 601 in overall in International 2020 by World University Rankings
- Ranked 1 for B. Tech by Outlook in 2019
IIT Madras Courses
Tabulated below are the details about the courses the Institute offers.
|COURSES||COURSE DETAIL||SELECTION CRITERIA|
||JEE Advanced Score|
||GATE + Interview|
||IIT JAM Exam.|
||CAT+GD and PI.|
||UGC-NET/ICMR/GATE/CSIR-NET/ICAR followed by an interview|
||Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE)|
IIT Madras Cutoff
Below is table showing cutoff (closing ranks) Round 6 for IIT Madras B.Tech. programs after last round of counselling.
|Computer Science and Engineering||158|
|Metallurgical and Material Engineering||5554|
|Aerospace Engineering (Dual Degree)||3816|
|Biological Engineering (Dual Degree)||7600|
|Biological Sciences (Dual Degree)||12762|
IIT Madras Placements
IIT Madras started its 2020 – 2021 placements from December 1, 2020. This year around 1443 students participated for placements. Below are the highlights for placements:
- Institute has observed around 170 PPO’s this year
- In MS by Research program, the major recruiter was Cargill DIgital Labs and the highest CTC offered was INR 22.41 LPA
- Transact, Angaros, Stratech Consulting had increase opportunities for students during this pandemic
Many top-notch MNC’s visit the campus for hiring purposes. Some of the top companies are as follows:
|Goldman Sachs||Qualcomm||ICICI Bank|
Course wise placements for the year 2019-20are tabulated below:
The sector-wise placement for the year 2019-20 is tabulated below
|Research and Development||12%|
IIT Madras Scholarship
There are various scholarships that the institute offers to students. These are as follows:
- Institute Merit-Cum-Means Scholarship: This scholarship is provided to those students whose family annual income is less than INR 4,50,000. It is available for 25% of candidates admitted.
- Institute Notional Prize: This scholarship is provided based on JEE rank and whose annual family income is or less than INR 450000. It is available for 7% of the candidates admitted.
- Institute SC/ST scholarship: This scholarship is provided to those students whose family annual income is or less than INR 450000. In this scholarship, free boarding with pocket allowance of INR 250 per month is provided.
- Institute Free Scholarship: This scholarship is provided to those students whose family annual income is or less than INR 450000. It is available for 25% of candidates admitted.
- Girish Ready Scholarship: This scholarship is provided on the basis of rank in JEE and whose annual family income is or less than INR 500000. The scholarship amount is INR 25000 per year.
There are various other scholarships that you can avail out of campus which are given by central and state government like single girl child scholarship, scholarship on the basis of family income, scholarship on the basis of academic record etc.
How to Avail?
Students need to visit the administration office and then fill the application form for the scholarship and provide all the relevant documents. After reviewing your application, they will make a decision of providing the scholarship.
IIT Madras FAQs
Ques. What are the facilities available in IIT Madras?
Ans. IIT Madras has various facilities for the students as well as staff of the Institute. These are given below:
- Guest House
- Open Air Theater
- Places of Worship
- Campus Security
- Police Jurisdiction
- Sports facilities
- Medical facilities
Ques. What campus festivals take place in IIT Madras?
Ans. Various events take place in this Institute for boosting the confidence levels of students like Cultural fest known as Saarang, Technical fest as Shaastra, Various department fests like BIO FEST (Biotechnology department), ELEC FEST (electrical engineering department), AMALGAM (metallurgical and materials department), CEA FEST (Civil Engineering Department) etc.
Ques. How is the life of a student at IIT Madras?
Ans. IIT Madras is a place that gives students rich and valuable exposure to multiple avenues related to academics, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. Here each student discovers their true interests and passion and pursues the same.
Ques. Can I get into IIT Madras without JEE Advanced?
Ans. Yes you can get admission in IIT Madras without JEE Advanced only for courses other than B.Tech. like MBA, PhD, M.Sc., M.Tech.
- For M.Tech. you have to give GATE Exam
- For MBA you have to give CAT Exam
Ques. How is the faculty of IIT Madras?
Ans. The faculty of the Institute is quite experienced and possesses tears of teaching experience in relevant fields. All of them hold professional degrees in their relevant domains and can help students in accomplishing their goals.